Spanish Tapas Class No. 3 at UBC

We had an interesting combo of tapas for our last ‘making tapas’ class with Chef Eric. First tapa on offer was Fried Manchego Cheese, which sounded so odd that no one picked it. Chef Eric shrugged, “Okay, we won’t do that one… Now who wants to make ‘Salad on Bread’?” Despite also sounding odd that recipe was quickly scooped, as were the ‘Prawns Wrapped in Serrano Ham’. Chef Eric commented, “Well, that won’t take much time, so you can also do the ‘Fried Manchego Cheese’!”

“And now who wants to make ‘Pork Brochettes’?” Several hands went up, but happily I managed to get that one. Other recipes up for grabs were ‘Chicken Livers in Sherry Glaze’, ‘Broiled Sardines’ and last but not least ‘Almond Tart’.

Ras el Hanout, a Moorish spice mix

Ras el Hanout, a Moorish spice mix

My choice, the Pork Brochettes (puerco a la plancha), were made from pork tenderloin, something that I’m always on the lookout for recipes for. This was marinated in an interesting mix of garlic, lemon and ‘Ras el Hanout’, a Moorish-influenced spice mixture, and then grilled on a ‘plancha’ or stove-top grill. The result was tasty but a little dry. I think perhaps I overcooked them, but a squeeze of lemon perked them up.

pork a la plancha

puerco a la plancha

Prawns wrapped in Serrano Ham (gambas con jamón serrano). This particular brand of Serrano ham was judged a little too salty by most of the class but I liked the way the salt accented the prawns. A salsa cruda, a quick uncooked salsa of purple onion, green onion, tomato, cilantro and lemon juice, accompanied the prawns.

Prawns wrapped in Serrano Ham

Prepping the Fried Manchego Cheese (queso frito) consisted of dipping the quarter-inch cheese slices into an egg wash and then into breadcrumbs & parsley, repeating the process (double dipping) and finally frying them in grape seed oil for about half a minute on each side.

prepping the Manchego cheese

dipping the Manchego cheese into an egg wash, followed by the herbed breadcrumbs

Served with Romesco Sauce, a tomato/almond mix they were my surprise favourite dish of the evening!

fried Manchego cheese with Romesco sauce

Yummy Egg Salad Sandwiches garnished with anchovies (bocadillos con ensalada de huevos)…

egg salad sandwiches

And even yummier Potato Salad Sandwiches garnished with black olives (bocadillos con ensalada de patata). It would never have occurred to me to put potato salad on bread!

potato salad sandwich

Vinagre de Jerez DulceThe sherry for the chicken livers was actually a ‘Vinaigre de Jerez Dulce‘. I never got a chance to taste it so I don’t know if it is sweet or vinegary, however I would probably just use sherry. As for the ‘Chicken Livers in Sherry Glaze‘ (hígados de pollo en jerez),  the sauce was tasty, but I’m not that fond of chicken livers, sorry…

chicken livers in sherry

chicken livers in sherry

Real sardines… they’re bigger than I expected.

sardinas

The ‘Broiled (and Breaded) Sardines’ (sardinas fritas) were served up with lemons.

sardinas fritas

Almond Tart (tarta de almendra) with a ‘canard‘ of sour cream on top.

almond tart

This entry was posted in European, Food around the world and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.