Menu from the Central Region of Mexico

We had two appetizers or ‘antojitos’ from the Central Region of Mexico. The first was ‘Chalupitas de pollo poblanos con dos salsas’.

Chalupitas plated

Chalupitas plated

The second was Chiles capones, which were served on a creamy tomato salsa and drizzled with cream. I have never had anything quite like them before, and they were my favourite dish of this third Mexican cooking class featuring the cuisine of this region.

Chiles Capones

Main Course: Bistec con Nopales, Chorizo y Frijoles

The heart of meal from the heart of Mexico was Steak with Nopales, Chorizo and Black Beans or Bistec con Nopales, Chorizo y Frijoles.

Bistec y Frijoles

Bistec y Frijoles

Dessert: Tamales de dulce

Initially, we started the class by preparing the dessert, tamales de dulce (sweet tamales), as these treats had the longest prep time. Although I knew about savory tamales, the sweet versions were a delightful surprise. A gooey mixture of masa (corn dough), butter, sugar, pink food colouring known as ‘rosa mexicana‘, cinnamon-infused water, baking powder and raisins were steamed inside corn husks, resulting in a delicately sweet dessert.

the sweet tamale

This entry was posted in Food around the world and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.