Food and Wine of the Rhone Valley, Class 1, Part 2

The main course for this meal was ‘Panned-fried Fish of the Day with a Juniper Berry Buerre Blanc and Curried Lentil Cauliflower‘. The best fish that day was haddock, and the ‘curry’ part of the curried vegetables was just a touch, very subtle. This was the dish that I worked on so there’s lots of photos of it.

Curried Lentils and Cauliflower with Fish

• The cauliflower was cut in half, in half again, and the core removed. It was then divided into florets.

13FrRhone1Cauliflower9675w

• The celery and carrot were diced.

13FrRhone1ChoppedCeleryCarrot9676w

• Green ‘Puy‘ Lentils from the Rhone Valley. I actually checked them three times to see if they were done. These lentils do not lose their shape and turn into mush like most other lentils…13FrRhone1GreenLentisPuy9678w
  • The ‘Buerre Blanc’ sauce for the fish began with cream, crushed juniper berries and diced shallots.

13FrRhone1dicedonioncrushedjuniperberriecream9681w

• The ‘Buerre Blanc’ was simmered until it was substantially reduced. Just before serving chilled butter pats were whisked in, a few at a time.

13FrRhone1BuerreBlancstep19682

• The fish of the day (haddock) was seasoned with lemon zest, parsley, salt and pepper and then sauteed in a small amount of olive oil until both sides were golden.

13FrRhone1Seasonedfishsheet9684w

• The wine chosen to accompany the main course was a Condrieu Versant Doré. This was an incredible wine, but at $60 bottle way more than I’m willing to pay for a bottle of wine. BUT if I ever have this kind of budget I would definitely buy this wine. As I said, “Incroyable!

13feRhone1WineCondrieuVersantDore9725w

• for dessert we made ‘Pine Nut Custard Pie with Caramel & Whiskey Sauce’.
  • a pastry dough was prepared along with a custard cream filling that contained the usual suspects (egg yolks, milk, sugar, flour) plus a few more unusual ingredients (lemon zest, orange blossom water). Here the cream custard is  being whisked.

13FrRhone1whiskcustarddessert9687w

• Whisking the caramel topping for dessert, just before adding a splash (or two, or more) of whiskey.

13FeRhone1WhiskCaramel9690w

• Pine Nut Custard Pie with Caramel & Whiskey Sauce

13feRhone1CustardNutPie9726w

• To accompany the custard pie was a sparkling rosé from La Vielle Ferme. Inexpensive ($13), this was a simple rosé with an aroma of white flowers.

13feRhone1CustardNutPieWine9732w

This entry was posted in European, Food around the world and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.