Tattoo thinking

by Ali Birston ~ September 6th, 2012. Filed under: Comm 464.

Everyday we are faced with hundreds of decisions. Some of them we make subconsciously, while others we contemplate for days. I bet you’ve rarely woken up one day and spontaneously decided to get a tattoo. This is obviously due to its irreversible nature, but when it comes to other not-so-permanent decisions why are we so hesitant to be bold and take risks?

I must admit I was quite refreshed after reading marketing guru Seth Godin’s blog “Tattoo Thinking” that proposed a new lens with which to view decision making from both a personal and corporate perspective. Although a tattoo is forever, most marketing decisions aren’t and the rewards can often be much more promising. The question he then begs is with higher benefits and lower risk, what are we waiting for?

There are now an overwhelming number of opportunities for marketers in the online realm and to say that things are quickly evolving is quite the understatement. So why are some companies still so slow to get their feet wet and dive in to things like social media (which may I add has been around for almost 10 years)? The potential to connect and engage in real time is significant and the best part is that mistakes are really just opportunities to learn, make changes and improve.

Online marketing is no tattoo, so no need to waste time. Ink your brand’s presence in the online space. It may only hurt a little but once mastered will be worth the while.