Coke Goes Catwalk

by Ali Birston ~ April 5th, 2011. Filed under: Comm 296.

It is a well-known fact that the cola industry is full of intense rivalry. When it comes down to it, consumers tend to be loyal to either Pepsi or Coca-Cola and don’t see themselves switching their drink of choice anytime soon. Personally I’m not really a big cola fan, but after seeing Coke’s new marketing campaign I may just be sold!

Coke and fashion are not two things that I would usually associate with one another, however, Coca-Cola has just developed a new strategy for its Diet Coke brand which aims to do just that. This campaign will include everything from TV spots to merchandising and packaging to promote its message of “a lighter approach to fashion” by focusing on all things “fashionista”. In addition, fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld (who recently lost 90 pounds by eating only stewed vegetables and Diet Coke) has created a new limited-edition set of bottles for Diet Coke that will be released this June. Coca-Cola has even taken things a step further by introducing related merchandise such as a clutch bag, scarf, top, and diet Coke Catwalk Collection of nail polish colors featuring shades such as Denim, Caramel, Plum and Heather Grey.

It is clear that Coke is trying to reposition their brand and reach out to a new segment of young “fashionistas”, but will this campaign be successful enough to change long-time loyalties and convince fashion-lovers who may also be weight-conscious to consume more cola? Personally, I think it is a very strategic campaign as packaging plays a huge role in what products we choose to buy and as a young female into fashion myself I must say that the new “Love it Light” bottle designs are pretty darn cute and convincing!

Image and info from: BrandChannel