The conference will be held in the heart of downtown Vancouver at UBC Robson Square, which is distinct from the UBC Point Grey campus. Please make sure you are aware of this information when making transportation and accommodation plans.
The exact address of the conference site:
800 Robson Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 3B7 [map]
The UBC Robson Square facility is located below ground, beneath Robson Street in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery. You reach it by descending the steps either from the north side of Robson St (where the Art Gallery is) or the south side of the street. Look for the flags with “Robson Square” and other UBC branding. At the bottom of the steps you will encounter an underground skating rink, which at this time of year will have no ice on it (though you may find people using it to practice their dance moves, or doing yoga or fitness exercises). The doors into UBC Robson Square are along one side of the rink, clearly marked. When you enter, take the main staircase down to the lower level, where signs for AMP 2015 will guide you the rest of the way to the registration table and auditorium.
Traveling from Vancouver International Airport (YVR) to UBC Robson Square and downtown hotels is very convenient. From the airport, travellers can take the Canada Line Skytrain for a 25-minute ride to the Vancouver City Centre station in downtown. From there, it is just a 1-minute walk to the conference site as well as to the Metropolitan Hotel. For those attendees staying at the Best Western Chateau Granville, you may find the Yaletown-Roundhouse station (one stop before Vancouver City Centre) to be slightly closer to your hotel.
Here are some food outlets within a couple of blocks of the conference venue.
- Tim Hortons (650 West Georgia St; 947 Hornby St)
- Caffe Artigiano (763 Hornby St)
- Starbucks (778 Robson St)
For a quick bite:
- Pacific Centre food court (basement, 701 W Georgia St), a lot of options
- H-Mart food court (2/F, 590 Robson St), Korean fast food
- Chipotle (818 Howe Street), a burrito place
- Japadog (530 Robson St), Fusion hotdogs
- FreshSlice Pizza (768 Robson St)
There is a cluster of pizza places at the intersection of Granville St and Smithe St.
Taking your time to enjoy a meal:
- The Keg Steakhouse and Bar (688 Dunsmuir St)
- Zefferelli’s (1136 Robson St), Italian
- India Gate Restaurant (616 Robson St)
The Denman St and Robson St area is a 20-minute walk (along Robson St) from the conference site. It offers a wide range of cuisines.
- Guu with Garlic (1698 Robson St), Japanese izakaya
- Dinesty (1719 Robson St), Chinese dimsum
- Ukrainian Village (815 Denman St), Ukrainian
- Sura (1518 Robson St), Korean
- Lanna Thai (775 Denman St), Northern Thai
- Banana Leaf (1779 Robson St), Malaysian
Finally, the historic Gastown area, located a 10-15 minute walk northeast of the conference site (mostly along Water St and adjoining streets) has a considerable number of restaurants and pubs, and turns into a busy nightlife scene on weekends.
BANKS AND ATMS
Nearby banks with cash machines include the following:
885 Georgia St (at Hornby)
610 Granville St (at Dunsmuir)
1055 Georgia St (at Burrard)
1036 Georgia St (at Burrard)
651 Robson St (at Granville, at 7-Eleven store)
TD Canada Trust
700 W Georgia St (inside Pacific Centre Mall)