Letter of Application

1873 Country Club Drive

Kelowna, BC V1V 2W6

amy.vergouwen@alumni.ubc.ca

September 15, 2019

ENGL 301 99A: Technical Writing
University of British Columbia
1873 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1

Dear ENGL 301 classmates,

I am writing to you to apply for a position to your ENGL 301 writing team. I am looking forward to finding other members with similar interests and writing routines to me. In this letter I hope to highlight my professional interests, achievements and work habits that would make me a good candidate for your writing team.

I have a few professional interests. Currently while attending my final year of university I volunteer 3 days a week at a long term care facility on the rec-therapy team. I have always been interested in healthcare, and combined with my degree of psychology, working at a care facility supporting individuals with dementia is a great route for me. I enjoy forming bonds with the individuals in our care, and I appreciate the aspect of supporting those who need it. In a bit of a different lens, I have another professional interest which is the world of sustainable energy, and I had the opportunity to work at a company involved with this this past summer. I worked in inside sales as a financial analyst assistant, mainly doing ROI analysis for combined heat & power units that the company sells to large agriculture corporations and farms to reduce carbon emissions. I plan to continue working at my job in renewable energy after I graduate, as I really enjoy working in a sales atmosphere and enjoy the good work the company is doing to reduce the impacts of climate change. My ideal plan would be to work in renewables and volunteer at a care facility so that I am able to combine both of my professional interests.

Going into university I received the Alexander Rutherford scholarship which paid for a great deal of my first year tuition. I have also received many music awards for jazz, symphonic and pit band throughout my education.

My main writing strength is my ability to state a point and then expand on it very well. I am good at expanding on details and providing comprehensive explanations and descriptions of writing points. My main weakness comes from my ability to expand on points well and use a good amount of detail; I have been known to repeat points at times, or carry a point for too long. This is difficult for me as I like to provide as much detail as possible, but I am working on keeping my points as concise as necessary. As per my working habits, I am a hard worker and a perfectionist in my writing. I like to edit and re-edit my work many times and prefer to have it finished a few days before the due date in order to have time to fix and reconstruct points if necessary. I do not work well if I have to cram an assignment in at the last minute as I get quite stressed and prefer to not work under a lot of pressure due to time constraints.

I really believe in collaboration and working in a team environment as I think it fosters creativity and cooperation, and allows for many viewpoints to be considered.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I really look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Amy Vergouwen

301 Amy Vergouwen Application Letter