BC BIG is hiring a Senior Behavioural Scientist. The posting closes on May 25, 2023.
We’re looking for a scientist-practitioner interested in solving complex challenges through the use of behavioural insights.
The BC Behavioural Insights Group (BC BIG) is a corporate research and evaluation unit dedicated to using insights and experimental methodology from the behavioural sciences (psychology, neuroscience, behavioural economics, sociology, etc.) to solve a range of behaviour-based policy challenges for ministries across the BC Public Service. Working on projects across the social, economic and environmental policy spectrum, the team applies their behavioural science expertise to increase program uptake, encourage regulatory compliance, and improve performance and decision-making, all in an effort to improve outcomes for British Columbians.
Reporting to the Lead of BC BIG, the Senior Behavioural Scientist will contribute to increasing evidence-driven programs, policies, and services across government; creating capacity towards becoming a behaviourally informed government; and strengthening the community of individuals and organizations utilizing behavioural insights across British Columbia.
The Senior Behavioural Scientist will be responsible for leading a portfolio of behavioural insights projects. They will draw on expert knowledge in the behavioural sciences and experimental methodology to co-design and test solutions. These projects will involve facilitating solutions with Ministry partners and conducting scientifically and ethically sound interventions to solve behaviour-based policy problems and then analyzing, interpreting and presenting results to senior decision-makers in the form of recommendations and policy advice. The Senior Behavioural Scientist will work across the policy spectrum, including projects in environment, healthcare, social services, natural resources, the economy, public safety and education.
Interested individuals can learn more or apply for the role here: BC Public Service Talent Management – JS Job Details (hrsmart.com)
- Graduate degree in psychology, economics, neuroscience or another relevant area of behavioural science. Preference may be given to those with a PhD, or those with a Master’s degree in a related field plus three years of work experience in a behavioural science research role.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience scoping and solving complex business problems through applying a range of behavioural science frameworks, tools, and techniques, including experimental design, exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience presenting complex scientific findings to peers, senior executives, academics, and lay audiences through creative and engaging presentations, reports, blog posts, media interviews, etc.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience developing and delivering training to adult learners.
Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience in user experience design or data science.
- Experience in the public sector.
- More than 2 years experience in any of the criteria listed above.
Individuals who have questions about the role are welcome to contact Lindsay Miles-Pickup directly at Lindsay.Miles-Pickup@gov.bc.ca. For more details or to apply, visit https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/100293