Research Day 2014 shout-out!

Dear friends and colleagues,

Research Day, on October 1st, 2014, is a graduate student-driven initiative hosted by the CHBE Graduate Students Club with support from the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department and the Faculty of Applied Science of the University of British Columbia. With the focus on “Gearing for a Sustainable Future”, this full day event will feature two keynote speeches, technical presentations, poster session, networking opportunities and a panel discussion on “Job Search Strategies for Grad Students”. 

So, don’t forget to register for Research Day 2014 by filling up the form HERE. Spaced are filling up! So, hurry up!!!

For more info, please check out the Research Day 2014 website at:
http://researchday2014.ca/

Also, please like its facebook page @(https://www.facebook.com/ResearchDay2014)
and follow its twitter @(https://twitter.com/ResearchDay2014)!

Research Day 2014 poster

Winners of June/July PPE Compliance Survey Monthly Draw

Dear 5th and 6th floor lab users in CHBE,

In June, compliance rate was 72%. The target is 100%, i.e. every single person working in their labs wears their PPE!
It was the time to announce the winners of June/July PPE Compliance Survey.
Ivan, our safety officer will conduct monthly PPE check and those who had the highest PPE compliance level, will be put into a draw for a starbuck giftcard!
*The highest PPE compliance level simply means you have lab coat, safety glasses, waterproof footwear and appropriate gloves.

June/July winners are
Badr Mohamed
Miguel Garcia
Alex Wong
Everyone has equal chance to win the draw if you put on your PPE.

New Executive Team 2014/15 Announcement

Hi everyone,

It is my absolute pleasure to inform you that the executive committee of CHBE GSC for 2014/15 has been formed:

President: Max Yu Wang
VP Academic: Guarav Subedi & Sonia Rahmani
VP Social: Jeanette Leeuwner & Maryam Tajilrou
VP Communication and Secretary: Jun Sian Lee

Please join me to welcome them.

On behalf of the executive team of 2013/14, I am wishing an exciting and successful year ahead for the new committee!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the executives of outgoing committee, namely Alireza Bagherzadeh, Ehsan Behzadfar, Bijan Hejazi, Hamid Khaleghihamedani, Jun Sian Lee, Jeanette Leeuwner, Sonia Rahmani and Max Yu Wang. I, myself, feel quite fortunate to be able to work with these highly motivated and extra-ordinary individuals. Their passions and hard works have enabled the club to meet and exceed expectations of the students.

My team and I feel very grateful to faculty and staff members of the department including Professor Peter Englezos, Joanne Dean, Marlene Chow, Ivan Leversage, Magnolia Flores, Jane McCarthy, Lori Tanaka, Amber Lee and Helsa Leong for their outstanding supports.

And, many thanks to the graduate students of this department who participated and/or actively volunteered to make our events successful.

With best wishes,
Hafiz Rahman
Outgoing President of CHBE Graduate Students Club