M1 Entry 1: Mobile Technologies and Indigenous Peoples

I am interested in exploring how and if technologies are changing cultural traditions. I’m unsure how and in which direction I will be narrowing down my research topic but I would like to learn more about the overarching implications of technology so I can better analyze and implement digital tools and resources. I wanted to start by looking into the implications of mobile technologies on Indigenous peoples. When I took ETEC 523 last term, I had the opportunity to learn about existing and emerging mobile technologies and come to understand that they will continue to have a significant impact on our society and cultures. So how would this affect Indigenous peoples, cultures, and traditions?

The resource by Dyson et al. (2015) covers a wide range of topics: how mobile technologies are being adopted in communities, the implications they have on health, education, development, and cultural revitalization. One particular case study I found interesting was the mojo (mobile journalism) project, investigating the impact on remote communities if literacies and technology can help with storytelling and enabling a “digital bridge across spheres of communication. (Dyson et al., 2015, p.126).”

Dyson, L. E., Grant, S., Hendriks, M. A. N., & Taylor & Francis eBooks A-Z. (2015). Indigenous people and mobile technologies. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315759364