M1 Entry 4: The Learning Circle

“First Nations storytelling has always been a communal experience. Stories brought people together to share a past, to explain the seemingly inexplicable in creation or to instruct. A powerful story might also make children see the consequences their actions might have”. – Harvey McCue and Associates for Indian and Northern Affairs Canada

The Learning Circle is a resource that I implemented in my own classroom last year. I encountered it quite late in the year, so we were only able to work through the storytelling unit, but I was amazed by how engaged the students were during our sessions. The class would sit in a circle and listen intently. Some students would close their eyes. Below is an example of one of the stories.

The Learning Circle is organized in thematic units (storytelling, seasons, and games) with different learning activities. The exercises are short, but meaningful. It is noted that because First Nations communities are culturally diverse, the information in this activity book does not necessarily apply to all groups.

Click below to check out the resource:

The Learning Circle

https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1316530132377/1535460393645