M1, ENTRY 4: Power of Indigenous Storytelling

Module 1: The Global and the Local in Indigenous Knowledge

Entry 4: Power of Indigenous Storytelling

Storytelling is an integral component of Indigenous cultures and communities: it is the thread that ties experiences, languages, and people together. Storytelling is also embedded in many other cultural practices, including beadwork and moccasin-making. The YouTube video linked in this post features Roberta Anderson, who is a Cree artist and teacher: she expresses how her creations and teaching experiences have helped to maintain traditional practices and promote cultural heritages (Insight Vacations, 2020). Further, these art forms represent Indigenous cultures in authentic and genuine ways: in a sense, by and for Indigenous people.

Interestingly, the value of storytelling is being recognized in more ‘Western’ learning contexts – whether it is in the K-12 or corporate environment. Only in recent years has storytelling been perceived as an integral tool that can be used to better illustrate both abstract and practical concepts, and everything in-between. This can manifest through interactive videos, case studies, or even AR and VR. To me this is a fascinating development because Indigenous communities have long held storytelling to be a revered practice, while ‘Western’ cultures are only beginning to appreciate its value across a myriad of contexts. I believe that this practice is one of many that ‘Western’ cultures can respectfully learn a lot from.

Insight Vacations. [2020, July 20]. Sarain Fox and the Power of Indigenous Storytelling. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_pDrjL9kjs

One comment

1. Hi Amy,

Thanks for sharing the video..right around the time that I began my teaching program, the redesigned BC curriculum was released. I’m really glad that storytelling is making its way into our classrooms and being embedded into all different subject areas. It’s such a great way to teach concepts and convey messages to students.