Module 2 Post 3: Indigenization is led by Indigenous people

As a non-Indigenous educator, I want to approach Indigenization carefully. I feel pressure making sure it is done properly. It helps me know that I can (and should) involve Indigenous people into the process. The “Indigenization is Indigenous” (Memorial University, 2019) article makes me realize that I should turn to Indigenous people for guidance and direction. Change is led by Indigenous people (Memorial University, 2019). I need to give room for Indigenous voices and remember that it is not just one voice, but rather an unanimous voice of their culture.

Reference:

Memorial University. (2019, February). Indigenization is Indigenous. Gazette. https://gazette.mun.ca/campus-and-community/indigenization-is-indigenous/

One comment

1. Well said Emma, and I think that being such an empathic and caring educator, even though some of us may not come from an Indigenous background, but showing our support and acknowledgement is part of the process of Indigenization. Thank you for caring…to all the teachers and nonteachers, who are taking part of the Indigenizing and decolonizing of our educational institutions, brings us all together and one step closer to becoming whole again.