M2 P2: Go Show The World – Children’s Book

This story was shown to my students by our Indigenous Resource Teacher ahead of National Indigenous Peoples Day. I enjoyed listening to this story as it portrayed Indigenous peoples in a positive light and in a more relevant way that connected with the students. The book talks about Indigenous heroes and how their actions have impacted the world. Students recognized some of the names listed and wanted to research further on their history. For example, one of my students remembered hearing the name Sacagawea from watching the movie “Night at the Museum”, but did not know that she was such an important person in North American history. Another student wanted to research Jim Thorpe as they only knew he was an Olympian but did not know about his history. Having stories like these that are more relatable to the students helps engage them and entices them to learn more. When learning about Indigenous cultures, students often see it as something external to them as if these cultures were from a long time ago or from a far away place. Books like these make students see that things are closer to them than they initially realized.

One comment

1. Thank you for sharing this reading. I recently bought this book and I think it would be excellent for me to show this video being read by her instead of myself.