Attached below in this section are examples of assignments that have done throughout ENGL 301. What is particularly notable throughout this process is the development into what has become my best work.

1) Revised Definition Assignment

One of the first assignments this term featured was how different audiences can create the need for various definitions of terms. For the assignment, I defined the term “Subpeona” for readers, or potential clients who receive a subpoena or those who simply do not understand what they are. First, I gave a parenthetical definition, and sentence definition of the term. These definitions were followed by expanded definitions that: contrast the term, showed negations of the term, provided the etymology of the term, and a visual example of a subpoena. This was a beneficial introductory assignment to considering  the audience when writing.

Subpoena Definitions Revised

2) Revised Peer Review of the Definition Assignment

Upon completion of the first version of the Definition Assignment, came the first opportunity to peer review a fellow group member’s assignment.  In this case, I was peer-reviewing the definitions provided by Chelsea.  Reading Chelsea’s work helped me to realize where my own assignments be could improve upon, and to see what elements of the assignment were important to the reader. This assignment was an eye-opening introduction to the peer review process that developed significantly over the term.

Revised Peer Review – Populism

3) Revised Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report with Surveys/Interview Questions

For a better portion of the term, our focus was on the Formal Report. There was first the proposal in which I elected to explore cost-effective methods of raising awareness for the small-scale charity The Okanagan Humane Society. Once the proposal was completed, I was then tasked with developing progress reports with my planned interview questions for the President of the Okanagan Humane Society. In addition to the interview questions, survey questions for members, and supporters of OHS to obtain feedback in where they feel improvements are necessary for awareness-raising.

Formal Report Proposal- OHS Research Proposal ENG 301

Formal Progress Report With Surveys and Interview Questions – OHS progress report revised

4) Revised Complaint letter and Response letter

An important aspect of professional writing is the ability to convey bad news in a professional, appropriate manner. This term we were to write a complaint letter to someone and promptly write a response letter back with a professional response. This exercise was helpful in understanding how to compose a formal complaint, that is still respectful, and what to ensure is included when providing news that one may not want to hear.

Complaint Letter

Bad News Adjustment Letter

5) Revised Peer Review of a Formal Report

As mentioned above, the Formal Report was the most significant part of the term. The 12-15 page report was to follow a logical order in which there was the inclusion of a letter of transmittal, table of contents, and abstract. It was then followed by introductions including the purpose and scope of the report, the data sections, and finally recommendations and conclusion. I had the opportunity to review Tameen’s paper, and through this review demonstrated just how much my abilities to peer-review had developed.

Tameen-peer-review – revised

6) Revised Peer Review of Application Package

The final peer-review of the term was that of the Application Package. This project, which has been attached to my own webfolio prepared us for an application to a program, job, or position of our choosing. The Package was to include the posting that inspired the application, a cover letter, résumé, and three requests for letters of reference. Once again, I reviewed work byTameen, who has consistently been producing fantastic work but has also allowed me to develop my peer-reviewing skills nicely.

Tameen Imran Application Package Review 4.1 – Revised