Independence and its silence

And the devil came here yesterday. Yesterday the devil came here. Right here.”
“And it smells of sulfur still today.” 
Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the president of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world. Truly. As the owner of the world.

When I think of independence, I think of freedom and all the beautiful liberties that come with it. The United States of America is known to itself and the world that surrounds it as the land of the free, a land free from bureaucracy and tyranny.

And then we here Hugo Chavez’s speech, we hear anger, we hear his anger and we hear how he feels about The United States of America.

They say they want to impose a democratic model. But that’s their democratic model. It’s the false democracy of elites, and, I would say, a very original democracy that’s imposed by weapons and bombs and firing weapons. 

It is interesting how sometimes liberty for others does not equal liberty for all. I am not sure if I completely agree but I do in many ways understand his point, the fact that The United States frequently chooses to represent itself as the new world when it still uses the oppressive techniques of the old one is fascinating, to say the least.