Geography 535, Syllabus 2015

Geography 535, 2015 Fall term

An introduction to international migration and settlement

Meeting time and place: Friday, 9.30-12.30. Room 223. Geography Building

Synopsis
This course is designed to introduce a broad set of issues and approaches to the study of international migration and settlement. The first part of the course will survey a number of key concepts and theories of migration, with emphasis on the role of the state and regulatory systems—that is, how migration policies are framed and operationalized. We will also consider the relationship between national security and migration, an issue that has arisen in the wake of 9-11 and other terrorist incidents. The second will concentrate on elements connecting places of origin and destination. The third will explore key debates in countries of sustained migrant settlement, particularly Europe where we will consider the relationship between migration and the national (or supra-national) imaginary, as well as the relationship between asylum, human rights, and attempts to regulate (supra)national borders. Finally, the course will close on the question of integration policies, particularly the recent challenges to the idea of multiculturalism (which was so widely supported a generation ago), and the concern that has arisen over the relationship between diversity and social cohesion.

Evaluation of students

• Major essay of 5,000 words, due Wednesday, December 16, 2015 (80%).
    • The topic must be approved by the instructor, preferably by the end of October.
  • Class contribution (20%), based upon:
    • General contribution to discussion.
    • Each week we will begin our conversation with a round-table survey of the students, who will each have an opportunity to raise issues they would like to discuss during the seminar (1 minute each). The ability of students to help shape the nature of our debate will also be taken into consideration in assigning the course contribution grade.

Note: my responsibilities require that I travel a lot. Whenever possible I ensure that this takes place on non-teaching days but occasionally I cannot avoid missing a class. So far, I know I must miss the first day of classes, while I’m attending the International Metropolis conference. There is also a real possibility that I’ll have to miss a class in October.

My office hours this term are on Tuesday and Thursday, in the early afternoon. For other times, please send me an email to set something up. I hope to see each of you privately at least once, and ideally a couple of times, over the term.