Water Fluoridation Debate

Debates have been used as an instructional and education tool in dental programs as it empowers participants to critically think on their feet, advocate for the implementation of health policies and bring about understanding to controversial subjects such as water fluoridation.1 Debates are ideal platforms for dental hygienists to create awareness of the profession and demonstrate their expertise and knowledge, which is substantiated by scientific research.

In 2014, I participated in the annual fluoride debate where my class was divided into three teams: pro-fluoridation, anti-fluoridation and critical colleagues. I was chosen to be on the critical colleagues team, which was in charge of marketing the debate to enhance attendance, moderating, time keeping and generate challenging questions for the two teams from the perspective of the general public. Although I knew the benefits of water fluoridation was well supported in literature, I had to remain neutral and speak from the public’s perspective. In the process of preparing for the debate, I honed my critical thinking, scientific investigation and research use competencies through examining the current literature regarding the risk and benefits of fluoridation and developing questions for both teams.

Although all the team members on the anti-fluoridation team believed in the efficacy of fluoridation, they won the debate due to their superior abilities in reasoning. The debate revealed the importance of understanding the risks and the benefits of the products and services that I recommend to my clients to ensure I am providing unbiased and objective information. Furthermore, it reinforced the importance of using literature to ground my clinical practice.

1. Rubin RW, Weyant RJ, Trovato CA. Utilizing Debates as an Instructional Tool for Dental Students. Journal of Dental Education March 1, 2008 vol. 72 no. 3 282-287.