Personal Development Plan

As a registered health professional, one of my responsibilities is to be a life long learner in order to keep up to date 10411088_10204052400043025_137137357008908759_nwith the latest dental products and evidence based practices. To fulfill this responsibility, I hope to engage in continuing education seminars, workshops, and study clubs.

The Dental Hygiene Degree Program (DHDP) has fostered my learning needs with its layered curriculum, as each year built upon the previous year. Therefore, every theory and concept that was taught was applicable and practical and contributed to my practice in the subsequent year. The past four years has revealed to me that I learn best when I can apply theory to hands on activities and practice these new skills on a regular basis.

I have drafted some goals to direct my career and help me grow as a health care provider.

Short term goals (~1 year)

1. Work in a private practice to hone clinical skills and obtain more experience in providing dental hygiene services to the general population
  2. Volunteer in my local community to increase access to dental hygiene services for marginalized populations
  3. Obtain 365 day exempt
  4. Work part time in public health specializing in low socioeconomic status, refugees, and children population

Long term goals (>2 years)

1. Pursue higher education – Possibly Masters in Public Health (MPH)
  2. Approach hospital administration to discuss the growing need for RDHs in the hospital setting and create practice opportunities for RDH. (Possibly run a pilot study to demonstrate RDH’s demand in the hospital setting)
  3. Seek out academia opportunities (ie. clinical instructor/educator, professor)

Although I close another chapter of my life, I can only be hopeful and look towards the future in excitement – as I embark on another journey – to grow as a health professional and to serve my community with the knowledge and skills I have been blessed with.

f7449f6cff288435ed1abe1d5785ce485156a958