my torchbearer essay

When I found out I’d be a torchbearer I made a decision to hold back the essay I wrote to “win” my spot. To be selected as a torchbearer via Coke’s competition you entered a random draw multiple times (I did nearly 100 times). If you make it past the first round you are asked to submit a 200 word essay about how you’ve changed your life for the better.
I thought long and hard before submitting this–even longer about sharing it. And not only because I find it hard to say anything in 200 words or less…ok, here goes:
I want to carry the flame for those whose alcoholism took away everything. In February 2010 I will be excited about the Games, but I’ll also think about where I’ve come from in twenty years. Starting in February 1990 I lost it all: job, home, family, and health—all gone in a few weeks. I found myself trying to figure out where it had all gone so terribly wrong. I could see where my life was headed—and I was terrified.
Terrified enough to change everything. I learned how to take care of myself: certainly no more alcohol, but also eating well and moving more. That first year I walked all over Vancouver. Then I learned how to cross-country ski. Over the next several years I added downhill skiing, ice and inline skating and snowboarding to the mix. My body recovered and got stronger; so did my mind and spirit. I even I went back to school, eventually earning a PhD. Life’s funny. Twenty years ago I was sedentary and wasting away. Today it’s me who organizes the gang to do stuff!
I’ve been so lucky; I’ve tried to give back. Over the years I’ve mentored others facing challenges like alcoholism. I tell them that for me it all started with two decisions: change everything. And start moving.

When I found out I’d be a torchbearer I made a decision to hold back the essay I wrote to “win” my spot. To be selected as a torchbearer via Coke’s competition you entered a random draw multiple times (I did nearly 100 times). If you make it past the first round you are asked to submit a 200 word essay about how you’ve changed your life for the better. Then a panel decides if yours is one of the best 4000 entries.

I thought long and hard before submitting this–even longer about sharing it. And not only because I find it hard to say anything in 200 words or less: the core topic isn’t something that I talk about very much. Not so much out of shame, or concern about being judged; mostly because folks tend to notice I don’t drink during social situations and I don’t want anyone to feel uncomfortable (or worried about me).

…ok, here goes:

Start moving

“I want to carry the flame for those whose alcoholism took away everything. In February 2010 I will be excited about the Games, but I’ll also think about where I’ve come from in twenty years. Starting in February 1990 I lost it all: job, home, family, and health—all gone in a few weeks. I found myself trying to figure out where it had all gone so terribly wrong. I could see where my life was headed—and I was terrified.

I’ve been so lucky; I’ve tried to give back. Over the years I’ve mentored others facing challenges like alcoholism. I tell them that for me it all started with two decisions: change everything. And start moving.”

About John P Egan

Learning technology professional.

5 Responses to my torchbearer essay

1. Anne-Rae says:

Thanks John for sharing. I knew that you had overcome something in your life to become the shining wonderful person I have come to know. Your essay is inspirational for those who are struggling with their own demons and also for those who need a little push to go after their dreams.

I know that carrying the flame on Saturday will mean more than just being part of the olympics. You will be showing the achievements you’ve made and will make in the years to come.

You go John!

2. Anne-Rae says:

And here is the memorable event captured on video.

3. Sean McMinn says:

A wonderful story, and thanks for sharing. You can feel your happiness by just watching the video. Congrats!

4. John Egan says:

Thanks Seán!