a digital story: Heimaey

Recently I got to fulfill a childhood dream–how often does that happen?  And I wanted to create a digital story that a friend who teached grade three could use in her class. For this age group, linking a story (or two: the island’s story and my journey to the island) to science (volcanos) should  allow students to associate a distant phenomenon by establishing empathy.

Here’s Heimaey, which looks better on the Prezi site in fullscreen mode.

Prezi is kewl…but perplexing at times. I lost some content somewhere; the lack of a “find” function meant recreating it. Not a big deal, but a pain.

About John P Egan

Learning technology professional.

6 Responses to a digital story: Heimaey

1. Heather (me!) says:

Wow! That’s a great story. When I was in the Yukon I got to see some amazing light displays in the sky….magical!

2. Helen says:

John, what a great story. The photos of the town sitting between the lava flows are incredible. It puts a human face to the devastation and impact of this type of event. Thanks for sharing it.
    Helen

3. John P Egan says:

Thanks–I was going to post about it in the course site, but decided instead to let folks who follow my RSS feed get it as a bonus.

😉

4. Bob says:

Hi John,
    I couldn’t access the prezi on my ipad2 or on my pc via the prezi website. I would really like to see it.

Thanks, Bob

5. John P Egan says:

Hiya Bob,

It was a bit wonky on Firefox on my Mac; but it loaded fine on Chrome. Try another browser? I’ll give my iPad a go now too.

6. John P Egan says:

OK Bob, I figured it out. When you click through for the presentation on Prezi, the site offers you the iPad app for download. Regardless of whether or not you say yes, the site then redirects to the generic Prezi site.

That was in Safari; using an non-Safari browser might mitigate this.