Unit 3 Reflection

Unit 3 Reflection

Write a reflective blog on the process of researching, organizing and writing your formal report draft and the task of reviewing your peer. What did you learn?  

This course have given me the opportunity to write a technical report summarizing the work I’ve done so far in the term. I am currently a work-learn student for Mark, whom the report is addressed to. I am completing report on my own behalf as this report is not required for work; I chose to write on this topic as I see this as an amazing opportunity to apply the skills I learned in ENGL301 at the meantime receiving feedback from my peer and instructor.

In preparation for the report, I revisited all my field notes, meeting summaries and picture i’ve taken around the site and found these materials to be extremely beneficial for writing. It is surprising how much you forget in the short time frame of 4 months of the countless hours of work I have performed. Therefore this has taught me the importance of the habit of recording details of what i am doing in the future, whether if it’s for work or graduate school (thesis writing!).

Report writing became easy once I populated my outline with the material I want to write about. I think it took more energy gathering and organizing contents than the writing itself. I think this is more important than jumping straight into writing as writing with a purpose feels a lot of direct and concise. It also helped significantly with the flow and the transition of my report which I noticed after reading the draft after I finish writing. This experience definitely taught me to keep investing time and energy in the outline of the paper than jumping directly into writing what i think i should be writing.

Reviewing my peer’s work is interesting. I find the content and the flow of the content very engaging and I just want to keep reading. Which made it hard to focus on the grammar or analyzing if the content is fitting with the rest of the report. I ended up just letting myself read the content of the report once over. And then going through the document again to look for grammar mistakes.