Complaint letter and Response letter

Letter #1 Complaint letter to Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)

Brian Wang

2205 Lower Mall

Vancouver, BC V6T1Z4

November 26, 2019

Customer Service Department

Mountain Equipment Co-op

130 W Broadway

Vancouver, BC V5Y1P3

Attention: Exchange and Returns

First of all, I would like to acknowledge that I have always been satisfied with the quality of MEC merchandise. However, my recent MEC purchase did not live up to my expectation and I am sure it’s an outlier in terms of customer experience. I walked into the MEC’s Broadway store on Wednesday, October 9th to acquire MEC men’s Boundary Lite Down Jacket in preparation for my weekend trip to Smith Rock State Park. Digital receipt of the purchase can be found under the name “Brian Wang” and phone number “(647)928-0618”.

The issue with this purchase is that the sleeve of the jacket got caught in flames while building the campfire. As my friend recounted, he saw a spark flying out of the firewood and landed on my sleeve that started the fire. Luckily, I was able to quickly blow out the flame and come away uninjured.

However, now I am left with an unusable down jacket that I acquired 2 days before the fire incident. I have two more trips this month that I would like to use the jacket for but am stuck in a tight financial budget for a college student. I was really happy with the quality of the product before it was set on fire, therefore I am wondering if I can receive a replacement. Thank you for your time reading this letter and I hope I can hear back from you soon. I am available via call or text to (647)928-0618 or via email to brian.wang@alumni.ubc.ca.

Regards,

Brian Wang

Letter #2 Bad news adjustment letter from Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)

Customer Service Department

Mountain Equipment Co-op

130 W Broadway

Vancouver, BC V5Y1P3

Brian Wang

2205 Lower Mall

Vancouver, BC V6T1Z4

November 26, 2019

Dear Brian,

We appreciate your kind words and thank you for your continued support for the Mountain Equipment Co-op. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with our MEC men’s Boundary Lite Down Jacket. Please note, regarding your purchased item, that due to the synthetic nature of the down used in the Boundary Lite jacket, it makes the insulation extremely flammable.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the damage to the product, we are unable to offer you an exchange. However, we can offer you 10% off on your next MEC order online or in-store. Please see the physical coupon attached to this letter.

Thank you again for being in touch with us. We appreciate your support and will continue to serve Canadians with high quality gear for their adventures.

Sincerely Yours,

Tom Hardley

Customer Service Representative

Enclosure: 10% off coupon

Word file of the two letters with proper formatting: ENG301_BrianWang_BusinessLetter