Cover Letter

December 12, 2019

Mr. Dylan Kirkby

Alloy Technologies Inc.

Unit 301 – 780 Beatty St

Vancouver, BC – V6B 2M1

Re: Data Science Co-op (Vancouver & San Francisco)

Dear Mr. Dylan Kirkby,

It was fascinating for me to read how Alloy uses forecasting techniques to make quick and actional management feedback into the business structure. As a fourth year, Bachelor of Science student majoring in Environmental Sciences with abundant experience in time series analysis and forecasting, I am interested in applying my skills in a demand focused, business mindset. Given my technical modeling skills and a complete system understanding of data collection, I am confident I can make a positive contribution to my data team and the company as a Data Science Co-op.

Through my experience working in three UBC research groups, I am experienced in interchanging between Python, Matlab, and R to perform data analysis to fit numerous research group’s preferred language. I have previously used pandas, SciPy and Scikit-learn while working with NASA’s remote sensing dataset using Anaconda managed Jupyter Notebook. Through enrolling in a graduate level machine learning course (EOSC510/454), I have built a multiple linear regression model and a 4-12-1 Bayesian neural network model to investigate the effect of 2017 forest fire smoke on forest productivity predictors.

Working on two research projects and taking full course load in my last academic year (while achieving an 84% academic average) reflects my ability to thrive under pressure and time management skills. I have performed most technician work independently and on a tight schedule in relation to my other academic commitments; hence, I look forward to continuing challenging myself while working at BMO.

I have gained valuable data system understanding through building various climate data collection systems from my work experience in UBC BIOMET and subsequent employment at UBC. I believe my experience interacting with the entire data cycle, from collection to processing to analysis, have provided me with the ability to evaluate data quality and always connect data behavior with its physical implications.

Given my technical skills gained through academic research and my sight for data quality, I believe I would be a supportive and productive member of the upcoming data team and for Alloy.  Thank you for taking the time to review my resume, and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Sincerely,

Brian Wang