Unit 4 Reflection Blog – How it all comes together

Standard

The last assignment in Unit 4 of English 301 – Technical Writing is to create a Web folio. This is considered a wrap-up assignment that takes in all the work in the past four months. Below, I reflect upon the process of creating my personal Web Folio.

The process of determining the audience and the purpose of my Web Folio is quite straightforward. Thanks to my previous Co-op experience, I am fully aware that I want to take on challenges in the industry after graduation. Hence, I designed my Web Folio to highlight my marketable skills – including Technical Writing, a valuable skillset that would help me stand out in the crowd.

Chapter 25 of the textbook Technical Communications helped me tremendously in designing my Web Folio. From this chapter, I realized that a web page’s design is almost (if not equally) important as its content. Like other assignments in this course, I took note on the need and expectation of the audience before creating my Web Folio. A good design must be clean, includes easy accessibility, sensible arrangement, and good use of visual effect. I found that the pre-made webpage design that I have been using only provided a basic webpage frame. It was crucial to logically think about how to organize my content, how to name the tab, what kind of graphic to include etc. in order to create an eye-catching, consistent, and easy-to-navigate Web Folio.

Putting the content of my Web Folio together was quite fulfilling to me. The amount and quality of my writing pieces in the last four months amazed me, especially the gradual improving progress that I saw in my writing. There were very few errors in my work by the end of the term and I did not have to do much revision before putting them up on my Web Folio. Perhaps the main challenge in terms of content in this assignment was to introduce my audience to every tab in my Web Folio. I spent most of my time on writing concisely while showing a professional tone throughout the tabs.