Best Work

Page

Below are my best writing pieces from English 301 – Technical Writing at UBC. All documents are provided in pdf form for easy downloading, filing, printing or email.

Assignment 1.3 – Three Definitions

For this assignment, each student is required to choose a relatively complex term in their discipline and write three descriptions for a non-technical audience.

This assignment showcases my consideration of the non-technical audience and my ability to differentiate the levels of detail in each type of definition.

PDF file: 301 Three Definitions

Assignment 2.1 – Formal Report Proposal

The purpose of this assignment is to compose a report proposal to persuade an authoritative audience to take action on a particular problem or inefficiency in a public setting. My topic is “Enhancing the Participation of UBC Geological Sciences Students in the UBC Science Co-op program”.

I consider myself fully qualified for this proposal as I am a former Geological Sciences Co-op Student in the program. My connections with the industry, the co-op advisors and my peers (the student bodies) are my strongest assets.

PDF file: 301 Formal Report Proposal

Assignment 2.2 – Peer Review of a LinkedIn Profile

Assignment 2.2. is a “double” assignment, to design a peer review template for a LinkedIn profile and to review a peer’s LinkedIn Profile using this form.

My LinkedIn profile review form was easy-to-use with clear and crisp design. The criteria mentioned in this form were organized and touched on all aspects of a LinkedIn profile, some were broken down further to support more detail comments. My peer review using this form was thoughtful, detailed and non-judgemental.

PDF file: 301 LinkedIn Peer Review Form for Samuel Kobierski

Assignment 2.3 – Progress Report

In this assignment, an email memorandum to the English 301 instructor detailing the progress on the formal report was required. This progress report includes the aiming audience, report purpose and significance, as well as a research plan and a writing schedule.

My progress report has all the required field and written concisely. A detailed research plan and a realistic writing schedule were the highlights of this assignment.

PDF file: 301 Progress Report

Assignment 3.1 – Two Business Letters: Complaint and Bad News

Assignment 3.1 asks each student to write two letters: one as a customer complaining about an error, mistake or poor service, the other as an employee to respond to the aforementioned complaint.

Both documents qualify as effective business documents: they achieved set-out purposes, used quality content, and was written professionally. The Writing with You Attitude was successfully presented in both letters.

PDF file: 301 Two Business Letters

Assignment 3.3 – Peer Review of a Formal Report Draft

Assignment 3.3 is another peer review assignment in the course English 301 on the formal report draft of a peer.

I have successfully delivered a constructive and balanced review, employing the Writing with You Attitude throughout. My comments were detailed and touched on all aspects of the formal report draft, which allowed my peer to revise effectively at the next stage of this report.

PDF file: 301 Peer review, Formal Report Draft for Jenny Bachynski