Deb (M1-#2): Culture, rhetoric, and technology

http://culturerhetoricandtechnology.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-indigeneity.html

This is an article from a blog that I searched using the keyterm ‘Indigeneity and technology’. It was very interesting to read because one of the readings that we did for Week 2 was from Pamela Wilson and Michelle Stewart’s Global Indigenous Media: Cultures, Poetics, and Politics.

This blog was created in 2009 by one of the graduate students taking a graduate-level English Studies course at Illinois State University. The title of the course is “Technology in English Studies: Race, Rhetoric and Technology”. Although the focus of this course is mostly on English language, this particular article on indigeneity is interesting to read.

The article starts with a question “What does the word “Indigenous” mean?” and then gives the definition of the word described by Wilson and Stewart. Then, throughout the article, the author expresses her opinions and critiques the book.

Using this article, I can briefly get ideas of what the book is discussing. The article particularly focuses on the Aboriginal women using technology which could help me do research on Aboriginal gender issues with regards to technology.

[References]

Global Indigenous Media: Cultures, Poetics, and Politics, eds. Pamela Wilson and Michelle Stewart, Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 2008, 89-108.