Research Interest: Identity, the Arts, and New Media Technologies

Through the use of this blog, I would like to gain a greater understanding of contemporary Aboriginal cultural identity, specifically in a Canadian context. I feel that the arts provide a valuable lens from which to explore this topic, as art forms such as music, dance, carving, and textiles have long played a pivotal role in First Nations culture. The arts provided artists and communities with ways of preserving traditions, history and affirming a shared sense of tribal identity, something that was adversely affected by the federal laws that restricted or prohibited traditional practices, and of course the residential school system that separated children from their families over several generations.

As First Nations communities attempt to heal the scars of these traumatic experiences, I’m curious to know what role the arts are playing in revitalizing Aboriginal cultural traditions and strengthening a sense of purpose and identity in the twenty-first century. In addition to revitalizing traditional art forms, new technologies such as video, audio recording and digital art software provide First Nations artists with an opportunity to create new works of art that merge tradition with modernity. The integration of new technologies, re-interpretations of traditional art forms and the influence of media produced by non-aboriginal artists, however, presents new challenges and questions about the meaning, purpose and sanctity of Aboriginal art that I feel is worth exploring.