Module 3 – Post 2 – Longhouse Media

Longhouse Media

Image Source: http://www.longhousemedia.org/about.html

After viewing this week’s video, “March Point” I wanted to try to find out more about its origins.  Through an internet search, I discovered that March Point is a production of Longhouse Media, a Washington State non-profit organization.  The production was completed as part of their “Native Lens” program.

“The mission of Longhouse Media is to catalyze indigenous people and communities to use media as a tool for self-expression, cultural preservation, and social change.”

The Longhouse Media website provides information on the organization’s current and past video productions (including March Point), their mandate and rationale, latest news and upcoming events, and also links to many other Indigenous artists and Native Organizations.

I found the website to be visually appealing, quite user friendly and easy to navigate.  I liked the fact that the website was very positive in nature, and seemed to be based around a message of hope.  I also really appreciated the information provided on the “About Us” and “News” pages as they give a lot of background information as to both the history and future of this talented and dedicated group.

The website can be found here: Longhouse Media