Entry19: Songs that tell of the Indigenious struggle

I decide to include these couple of songs since they represeent another form of media that has been used to express the issues of Aboriginal groups.  The first song is remake of Cherokee Reservation, done by Paul Revere and the Raiders.  Watch the youtube video here   and read the lyrics here .   The words of this song ring so true with mny indigenious groups especially during early civilization.

They took the whole Cherokee nation
put us on this reservation
took away our way of life
Tonmahawk and bow and knife
Took away our  native tongue
taught their engish to our young
Even today there is still the fight over schooling and land rights. So the theme of this song is truly timeless.

I follow this song with Cher’s hit, Half-Breed.  This song tells of the struggles of a female Native American with White ancestory.  The first stanza deals with a very common issue in the past and even in present – how are people of ‘not-pure’ lineage treated.  see the full lyrics here.

My father married a pure Cherokee
My mother’s people were ashamed of me 
The indians said I was white by law
The White Man always called me  “Indian Squaw”
I don’t think Cher’s image in this video is a true representation. This is probabely a case of using an image to promote the song and ideas. Definitely some sterotyping being used here.

Through the use of music, important issues of Native Americians are brought to light.  It’s important to remember that Internet technology was not as proficient/common at the time of these songs.  Music was probabely the best medium to spread a message to hundreds or thousands or more people.  furthermore the greater the diversity of medium spreading a message then the greater exposure, and greater support for the movement.