6 responses to “A3: Co Lab Education”

1. hasssae1

FEEDBACK: Hi Kyle, thank you for this OER. Well done. I really liked how you have applied your industry knowledge and expertise, in particular around lean operations to this venture. As an investor, it gives me the extra assurance that I’m looking for. Having said this, I wasn’t able to see what market share your venture is aiming for? The OER lists the three (3) main competitors (Nynja, Slack, and MatterMost), however, it does not specify who the market leader is, and what percentage of market share each one holds.

2. brendan stanford

Hi Kyle! Thanks for exploring an interesting premise: that students can play a more active role in designing the technology they (and their teachers) use. I think your pain point analysis effectively conveyed how your platform could close the gap between consumers (students), the customer (teachers) and designers. The greatest potential improvement I could see would be in the ROI, as you did outline the ask in detail, but I didn’t see how investors would quantitatively benefit beyond the more qualitative benefits of monetization of platform technologies and the eventual transition to a paid subscription model. Nevertheless, I think this sort of student-cenetered technology design will indeed be critical to effective educational technology platforms in the future, so I hope to see more companies take on these practices! Cheers!

3. cindy keung

FEEDBACK: This is an interesting idea, Kyle. It sounds like the student and teacher can create a micro-project that is quick. I anticipate cross-cultural relationships and the need for understanding since your venture is global and individuals can collaborate with anyone in the world. School curriculum vastly differs from province to province, let alone country to country; not to mention language differences. Some important questions I have as a VA (and educator): How will these issues be addressed? What are the online safety measures that would be implemented to protect young learners who are using this platform? In your elevator pitch, the student is an 8 year old. This is a pretty young age for a student to arrange to meet with two other potential adults. Thanks again, Kyle, for this neat idea.

4. Ally Darling-Beaudoin

REVIEW: Kyle, your pitch is excellently done and hits on what I consider to be one of the huge pain points in education: a lack of expertise. As education explodes into so many different fields, suddenly the teacher (& their administrative support system) is straddled with an insurmountable amount of information to know, and few experts to turn to that can assist. How often do educators think “Someone, somewhere, would know how to do this, but I sure don’t!” This recognition and connection of experts to solve grass roots conundrums is why I think Co Lab is an excellent venture worthy of investment. I can also FEEL your operational and logistic background/skills in this pitch which inspires a lot of confidence in success. You have also nicely articulated the market that this venture dives into. One thing that I think could strengthen your pitch is a real world example of a “success story” (even a fake one). What sorts of things could be developed by Co Lab, what is realistic? I’d be curious to see an example of Co Lab in action!

5. Terri-Lynn McLeod

FEEDBACK: This is an interesting venture, bringing educators together with tech developers. It is rare that teachers have the opportunity to give feedback on potential tools for the classroom. It does seem costly for most schools, so I can see why you are starting with private schools as a target for your venture.

6. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hi Kyle,

Excellent OER and I would invest in the venture. There is a significant gap between tech developers and educators. But, Co-Lab Education brings all stakeholders together, including students who don’t usually have input in these decisions. I also particularly like that all groups have the opportunity to engage and learn from each other. Teachers and tech developers will also begin a dialogue that does not occur too often. Students will begin developing skills that will be beneficial in the long run. Do you foresee your venture eventually expanding to higher education? Great concept!