A1: Mobile Crowd Sensing

originally posted by cbrumwell on February 17, 2016

Crowdsourcing information is not is not a new idea. The Christmas Bird Count – an annual mid-winter migratory bird census – dates back to 1900 and boasts tens of thousands of contributors. Collecting initiatives go by many names, like: Participatory Sensing, Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI), Citizen Science and Mobile Crowd Sensing and Computing (MCSC). Mobile devices are now equipped with  cameras, voice recorders, accelerometers, Bluetooth  and GPS and new technologies increase with each new release.  In the hands of a public that is mobile comfortable and social networking savvy, the capacity to collect extensive data for a variety of purposes – including education – is growing.

Click here to go to Mobile Crowd Sensing

3 responses to “A1: Mobile Crowd Sensing”

1. Lyon Tsang

This also made me think of “tasking apps”(https://www.savethestudent.org/make-money/money-making-task-apps-that-pay-out-instantly.html).

Users might be asked to take a photo of some grocery at the supermarket for example, and earn some money from providing this information. It’s crowdsensing and crowdsourcing!

2. adrian granchelli

originally by unknown, Jan 15: https://virtual.educ.ubc.ca/wp/etec523/2016/02/17/a1-mobile-crowd-sensing/#expand-url

Review: Firstly I do not think the written summary of this presentation accurately reflects the content rich detail provided to us in the author’s YouTube video! The delivery of the video has an easy listening cadence, clear visuals and connections to real-world relevance. He reminds us that mobile devices are intended to be an extension of what humans are – intuitive, adapadatel, rsynchronous. He breaks down Mobile Crowd Sensing into three bite-sized chunks: Participatory Sensing, Volunteered Geography Information, Citizen Science. The author moves seamlessly through its background and history, apps available to apply to activities, real-life examples and ends with the risks to consider. For those overwhelmed by integrating tech into the classroom – his examples provide a mobile app that an educator can tie into easily with activities (ie. inaturalists – a species id collections system for students to participate in and contribute to) that can supplement traditional lesson plans. He touches on geo-tagging and explains how it can be synchronous and reactive to world-wide events/crises. As well, he provides examples of apps that have generic appeal for different subjects and grades. I feel this is a very interesting, relevant and valuable resource to the Knowledge Mill of ETEC 565 as it not only provides authentic examples and clear explanations, it reduces that feeling of being overwhelmed and paralyzed by all the tech options available to educators! Which is a real boon when we sit down to plan at the end of a crazy day and try to filter through the billion options available to us.

3. adrian granchelli

I found that your presentation on Mobile Crowd Sensing broadened my understanding of the ways in which mobile technology expands the ability of data to be gathered both actively or passively by mobile users. While I was familiar with the Christmas bird count and other citizen science projects, I had not considered how the affordances of mobile technology provide many more avenues to participate in these sorts of projects. As you point out the number of sensors in mobile devices as well as the connection these devices make with the sensors (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, skin) of the users makes the possibilities for Mobile Crowd Sensing limitless. You provide numerous examples in which people are intentionally participating in Mobile Crowd Sensing such as their contributions to mapping and GIS as well as ways in which users may unintentionally be participating in the form of Mobile Crowd Sensing Computing. One way that people are unintentionally participating in Mobile Crowd Sensing which came to mind is when we rate or give reviews of locations such as restaurants. This data is compiled and then is used to rate businesses in the area. I also wonder about the ways in which mapping apps such as Google Maps makes use of data available from people using the apps. I often wonder how these apps can forecast busy intersections, slow roadways or even popular times for businesses. I am certain they are making use of GPS data gathered from users of the app. You also clearly reflect on privacy and security issues especially in cases where users are not fully aware of the data they are providing and how it is being used. Thanks for the great thought provoking video.