A1 – Fostering Innovation in the K-8 Classroom Through Coding and Mobile App Development

As a technology coach in a K-8 school, I often encounter teachers asking where to start when it comes to coding, or are intimidated by all the different learn-to-code platforms for students. Like coding, teachers want to also include mobile app development in their classroom, yet it is difficult to determine which app platform is appropriate for K-8, or worthwhile to utilize or purchase. I decided to create a resource for K-8 teachers, of coding and mobile app development resources that I have personally used, explored, and recommend. I also offer suggestions on how and why to incorporate innovation in the K-8 classroom.

Use this LINK to access my OER. I used Canva to create a mobile-first presentation. Throughout the resource, there are direct links to the web pages of learning platforms. After you get redirected to the webpage, to return to the presentation press the back arrow in your browser.

Navigation on a mobile device – Click on the screen or slide your thumb to the left to move to the next infographic. There is also the grid view option as well at the bottom of the screen.

Navigation on a computer– Use the arrows to go back and forth, or use the grid view feature

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “A1 – Fostering Innovation in the K-8 Classroom Through Coding and Mobile App Development”

1. Douglas Millie

An excellent resource for coding is a website run in Saskatoon called SaskCode. They offer lesson plans, PD and sell robot kits for students of all ages. Their robot mouse kits can be used with young students to retell stories included with the kit by programming the mouse to follow the correct path. While their immediate area is Saskatchewan, their resources are online and free.

They can be found at: https://www.saskcode.ca

2. Maria Agop

I am glad you presented the benefits of coding for children, Agnes! I love implementing Scratch (https://scratch.mit.edu/) in my lessons, it is so much fun and it doesn’t feel like homework at all. I give them the freedom to create a visual story with characters and bubble speech to practice their writing and spelling, but it’s much more than that! What’s great about coding for children, is learning by doing as well as the freedom to create visuals or any type of artifact they desire. It is also important to showcase their artifacts and receive feedback from their peers to give an opportunity for peer reflection. I am sure coding will be a core subject in schools around the world, I already have students in China and Saudi Arabia who are familiar with coding and its basics.