Brendan Clark Introduction

Twitter_Town_Hall-Dorsey_Obama

Hello everyone,

I have been teaching social studies in B.C for about 6 years now and I have a background in social geography and history.  I have focused much of my research and teaching on political discourse.  I often use early 20th century political speeches and political cartoons as well as modern day television campaign advertisements in the classroom.  I find that these artifacts engage students and ask them to critically examine the message and the medium.  The photo I chose is from one of President Obama’s Twitter Town Hall meetings.  I wonder if the President’s’ adoption of Twitter is a revolutionary change creating a real political conversation or simply another space for propaganda and lip service.

My name is Brendan Clark and this is my fourth MET course.  I currently teach at the only secondary school in Powell River B.C.  Rural education has framed a lot of my research questions around technology where broadening the community feels vital.  I also have a background working with students with special needs where I have seen some inspiring use of technology to improve access to various texts and aid communication.  I hope to broaden my my definition of text and technology in ETEC 540 and find new creative ways to engage myself and my students.

Image:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Twitter_Town_Hall-Dorsey_Obama.png

One thought on “Brendan Clark Introduction