Matt’s Introduction

London2015

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I live on the west coast of Canada. I have a Bachelor of Education and a Bachelor of Humanities in Pacific and Asian Studies from UVic.

I began teaching in 2009 and I’m currently teaching in a public 0.3 grade 4/5-classroom contract. I’m trying to fill the rest with on-call work. This leads to a rather hectic lifestyle of teaching something like kindergarten in the morning and grade 5 in the afternoon. I hope to have a full time classroom in September.

I love to travel and also lived and taught for a year in Australia. Photography and exercise are also hobbies of mine.

I chose to post my photo that I took this past summer when visiting the British Museum in London. This is the Rosetta Stone. As it has been stated, the Rosetta Stone is a very important artifact as it holds the key to understanding Egyptian hieroglyphs. It was really interesting to see how this one stone text was key to deciphering this preceding language.

I think it’s incredible how technologies for writing have changed through the course of history and I’m intrigued to see how it will change in my lifetime.

This is my 6th MET course and I look forward to observing our weekly discussions and learning with everyone.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aes/t/the_rosetta_stone.aspx

Matt

5 thoughts on “Matt’s Introduction

1. Most interesting photo Matt; I find myself looking closer to pick out one of the Egyptian hieroglyphs. Would they let you take any close up shots?
    You are so right. We are in a transition period. We have experienced the past and have no ideas what comes next 🙂 This course should at last point us in the positive direction.
    Terry

2. Hi Terry,

I would have closer shots except for my camera died just before this photograph was taken! Luckily, I had a cell phone to take a few like this one. Otherwise you can get right up close to it and it’s free to see the museum.

3. Great picture Matt. I think it really shows how narrow a view many of us (myself included) have of technology. I think this course is going to offer some very different perspectives.
    Chris

4. Nice to see you again Matt! Great shot… The British Museum is one of my most favorite places to visit in the UK!