Kara’s Introduction

Hi everyone,

My name is Kara and I teach grade 6/7 in Surrey, British Columbia. I chose this image because it applies to my students. They are constantly writing using Social Media: sending text messages, posting on blogs, tweeting, commenting on Instagram, etc. The struggle I am finding is that the writing they turn in for me to mark is often short, full of spelling mistakes (thanks autocorrect!), and basic grammatical errors (using “i” instead of “I” or using text message terms like “2 instead of “to” or “b” instead of “be”).

I am interested in this course because I want to improve the way I teach writing to my students; however, I am also looking for some insight into how text and technology is advancing and whether or not things like knowing how to write an academic essay, or the necessity of reading a full novel are essential skills I need to be teaching my students.

I look forward to working and learning from all of you,

Kara

Image Take from http://pixabay.com/en/word-cloud-social-media-words-639317/

4 thoughts on “Kara’s Introduction

1. Hey Kara!

Nice to meet you. “The struggle I am finding is that the writing they turn in for me to mark is often short, full of spelling mistakes” – glad it’s not just my class!

Looking forward to examining these issues you mentioned as well.

Matt

2. Hi Kara;
    I know what you mean. I love words and think we may be killing off a large percentage of our vocabulary.It is sad each year when OED delist words due to lack of use. I look forward to problem-solving discussions with you and our classmates.
    Terry

3. Great intro! Nice to meet you Kara! I find length only comes when I make the task personal to them. I teach grade 8 language arts and my students wrote autobiographies this year. Some of them wrote between 3000-5000 great words – that really told their story. It was incredible to see how into it all my writers got and the value of their work!

I do agree though that they are less motivated to write in general and it takes longer to get them to buy in.

I am looking forward to working with you during the course!
    Sarah