Rip.Mix.Feed – Toondoo Storytelling

• What motivated you to explore the appliction(s) you used?

As I was exploring the numerous different possibilities for this activity, I was both overwhelmed by the possibilities and slightly unmotivated to create a list or tweak an existing video – so I decided to tell a story!  I find that I express myself better in a narrative format, and even better in pictorial format; my drawing skills, however, leaves much to the imagination.  Toondoo is a free, easy to use web tool in which I can create visuals quickly and easily affords me many presentation possibilities!

• What have you attempted to achieve in your project?

My goal for this project was to create a visual representation of my life as it currently exists (it’s a bit of a busy summer…).  I wanted to explore a new web tool that I’ve seen before but never had the time or opportunity to play with, and at the same time convey a short (therapeutic) description of my summer “vacation”.

• What are the particular affordances (for knowledge mobilization, learning, etc) of the form of production you’ve selected in relation to previous forms of production we’ve considered in this course?

Toondoo offers a fun and easy way of creating short comic strips to illustrate a topic.  Students are able to start creating after simply registering with a username, password, and email address, and are able to post their creations publicly or share privately with friends via email.  Toondoo offers an alternative to storytelling without the need for writing composition.

• What are the potential drawbacks?

The only drawback I encountered so far is the amount of time it takes to become familiar with all of the visuals offered by Toondoo.  Perhaps this is also an affordance, but I found that much of the time I spent on this little comic was spent navigating the hundreds of pages of images.   This is, of course, a good investment of time since once I gained familiarity with the options it was easier to simply use the search function to find a particular option.

Toondoo Link:

http://www.toondoo.com/privateView.toon?param=jVbLAkkP/yTRNutmdkM9mZQPKXzfi/PvjAjE/vxkGHgHTm7Q4eul1Q%3D%3D

One thought on “Rip.Mix.Feed – Toondoo Storytelling