What U of T students are saying about the impact of COVID-19

Page

“My work closed down middle of March around the same time when schools and Universities closed. Now I am trying to learn new ways I can make money just by sitting at home since it doesn’t look like work will be opening any time soon”.

“My two job offers were rescinded and my current job has been largely unaffected”.

“COVID-19 has impacted my work significantly. [My employer is] closed until July 1st which means that I won’t be needed until then. … I still get paid the minimum number of hours I work each week … but I usually take quite a bit of extra hours shifts when my schedule is more relaxed so I can earn some extra money. So that is a bit of income that I’m missing out on. [M]y other job … laid me off until July without pay. However, with the announcement of CESB, COVID won’t impact my income too much which means I just have more time on my hands now”.

“Covid-19 has impacted my work and study plans because I initially planned to spend the summer working to save money for school and pay for my rent. Currently, I am not working and using the large majority of what the government provides to pay for my rent, leaving little money to support other fees I am paying such as summer school tuition, and textbooks. Moreover, I was uncertain about taking summer school prior to this outbreak, but given this large amount of free time on my hands I decided to use my time more wisely.”

“I’m going to be taking a summer course in July. I hope by then the course will be back in class”.

“I had to finish my semester at home, which was a huge transition. I was unable to go to libraries or go out as freely to socialize and reduce my mental strain”.

“I work in [healthcare], and we have had an outbreak of COVID-19. Naturally this has been stressful on all the staff, we work with masks and face shields, and are often understaffed and overworked … everyone is working double shifts and are burning out. My role at work has shifted [to what is needed most, and] the work has become twice as difficult and time consuming. … Many of the staff have gotten sick which has made everyone increasingly worried about our safety and given my work a somber vibe”.

“I’m currently taking one summer course for this session. For the July and August session I will be taking two. I’m unsure what will happen with my part time jobs, but if I go back to work in July, I’ll be working as little as possible. Both to decrease my chances with COVID as I live with my parents, and to focus on full time summer school which can be quite intensive”.

These quotes reflect the challenges many students are facing. Please add your voice by leaving a comment.

See also a recent report by Undergraduates of Canadian Research Intensive Universities.