The Legendary McRib Returns!

Ahh, the ever elusive McRib.  I’m not sure if this item has ever been introduced to the McDonalds menus here in Canada, but in the United States, it is an immensely popular sandwich.  Because of its limited availability and its appearance only in select McDonalds restaurants every so often in the States, people have gone to great lengths just to taste this sandwich again.

Some have gone as much as hundreds of miles out of their way just to get this sandwich – a pork patty in the shape of a short stack of ribs stuffed in between two buns topped with a tangy BBQ sauce.  There has also been the creation of numerous “McRib locators,” maps where people can see where the McRib is available.  The reason I bring this up now is because McDonalds has made this sandwich available nationwide (by that I mean the United States) starting last week.  There is a catch though – it will only be available for six weeks.

Now being such a popular sandwich, people have pushed for it to become a regular item on the McDonalds menu, and yet, McDonalds has not done that.  You say “fail” on McDonalds part?  I say “win.”  The reason why this sandwich has such a cult following is just because of that decision.  I mean, this sandwich does not cost significantly more than a regular BigMac or Quarter Pounder, but what is does have is scarcity.

In my opinion, I think McDonalds in the U.S. is making a great marketing decision.  First of all they have a great sandwich that a lot of people enjoy, but then they make it limited and elusive, thus making the McRib a “legendary sandwich” (if such a thing existed).

Now not being available here in Canada (and I am guessing probably not as popular), I noticed that McDonalds Canada has a different approach, as Angel Chan talks about in her blog post, “Monopoly.”  Their marketing strategy of late is to allow people to trade in their monopoly money for an order of free large fries.  McDonalds Canada (in AB and BC) is also still giving free monopoly stickers that come with the order of a large fries, chicken nuggets, etc., that if you collect the right combination, could mean prizes.

I think McDonalds is doing a great job in having different strategies concerning the different products they have, and the different places they are located.  They have different strategies and promotions depending on their consumers preferences in whatever locale they are in.  Now the only thing they need to do is to bring the McRib here to Vancouver…

———————————————————————————————-

~ McDonalds even has a dedicated portion of their website to promote the McRib.  Check it out by clicking on the image above!
~ Don’t believe me that such “McRib Locators” exist?
~ Want to read more of Angel’s posts?  Check her blog, Infinity, out!