Comm 299’s Lasting Impression

Way before the first Comm 299 class I attended this semester, I thought to myself, “What more can we learn besides public speaking?  I’m pretty sure the rest of the things they could possibly teach us in this course is pretty much common sense!”  Well, the thing is, there’s a difference between common sense and knowledge, which I gained a lot of in the course of this semester.

I learned about how to make a great resume.  I learned about how to make a cover letter stand out.  I learned about CAR statements.  I learned about how to prepare for an interview.  But above all, what surprised me about the knowledge I gained in this course was the amount I learned about myself.

I guess you can call it “discovery” too.  Besides the StrengthsQuest really helping me identify the many strengths I have, this course has enabled me to express them in a more articulate manner, either in writing, in speech, or in presentation/appearance.  It is because of Comm 299’s demanding nature that I was able to realize the effect of my contributions in the clubs that I was involved in the past (especially with the resume and cover letter assignments), and in how to express them clearly in order to make a lasting impression on someone in interviews or in other situations such as career fairs.

I also learned that you can’t be afraid.  And no, I don’t mean as in “afraid of the dark” or “afraid of ghosts,” but afraid in the sense of throwing yourself out there.  I’ve learned that you need to be confident about yourself.  It’s a dog eat dog world out there, and Comm 299 has not only helped me realize my strengths, it has also taught me how to express them, and for that I am thankful to have learned how to confidently present myself to others.