Agostino – Freud wins once again

Sometimes I wonder why literature writers (or is it just the romance ones?) get so obsessed with the Oedipus complex and overall Freud’s theory. There must be something poetic or beautiful within the layers of uncomfortable incestuous relationships for these many writers to focus on it. Even though I started reading the book without any ideas in mind, the first paragraph almost gave it out that it was a book filled with Freudian ideologies. In fact, this was my first note in the online book.

Agostino by Alberto Moravia was by far the easiest read so far. And perhaps because it was an easy read, I enjoyed it a lot. Imagining the warm Italian summer in the beach tinted with a nostalgic yellow, I played the movie inside my mind while reading it. Among the themes portrayed in the novel, including the Oedipus complex, class differences, sexuality, adolescence, and even racism, I found myself more interested with the loss of innocence happening throughout. From a sheltered middle class life with his loving mother, to experiencing different situations like the brutality of the boys, the nauseating boat trip with the disgusting man with six fingers (I don’t know why I had to point that out, but it was an interesting concept!), and most significantly, the brothel, shaped his growth like none other. I wonder what would happen if he didn’t follow Berto that day, if he wasn’t exposed to the lives of the gang of boys. Would it just be another summer on the beach? Would his image of his mother stay the same or change from the relationship between her and the young man? We can already see the shift from seeing her mother as some sort of a godly creature to disgusting with ‘acrid, violent, animal warmth’ right after she spends more time with the man.

It is intriguing to read about adolescence in men, about the formation or ‘gang’ of boys and their vicious ways and the sensual yet uncomfortable relationship with his mom, inside his mind, as a woman who had the complete opposite experience growing up. All the literature I’m reading makes me question the thoughts men (the writers) have sometimes. One part of the boy’s innocence that stood out to me was his thoughts on prostitutes and sex work in general – the way he questions the idea of it with such innocence felt bittersweet to me, because we all know that as he ages, his mindset will be molded to be just like the others, changing from empathy to the workers to seeing them as objects, from going to the brothels out of curiosity to out of lust.

“The idea of the money he would pay in exchange for that shameful, forbidden sweetness seemed strange and cruel, like an insult, which might be pleasurable to the person who delivers it but is painful to the one who receives it.”

I mean, I think we can see it happening when he starts calling his mother ‘nothing more than a woman’, confusing with the idea of a maternal figure and a woman capable of desire and lust. It doesn’t help that his mother is such an attractive, single woman, carefree with her choice of clothing like see-through negligees. The way he describes his mother’s seemingly normal activities like taking her earrings off into slow, sensual activities makes it even more uncomfortable to read. The innocent love for his mother turned into a confusing mess of repulsion and attraction, which evidently shows his loss of childlike purity.

Let me open up the questions I had to you. My question is:

What do you think would’ve happened if he didn’t encounter the boys? Would there be another event like this, something that makes him lose his innocence nonetheless?

Moreover, did you have any experiences that was a start to your shell of innocence breaking apart during your childhood? It doesn’t have to be sexual. Mine was when my older cousin would force me to watch horror videos with jumpscares on Youtube, not to add to the unrestricted internet access I had. I turned out great!

5 thoughts on “Agostino – Freud wins once again

1. Hi Indra! I also found Saro’s description quite unsettling. To answer your first question, I believe Agostino’s journey toward adulthood would have been markedly different if he hadn’t encountered Saro and the other boys. Specifically, without these interactions, Agostino might not have been confronted with the complex feelings of sexuality and desire that arose for his mother during his time with them (as the boys were the ones who made comments about his mother, making him see her in a totally different light), nor would he have been exposed to the harsher realities of life beyond his sheltered upper-class upbringing. In this scenario, his loss of innocence might not have extended to understanding the full extent of the challenges and complexities present in the world outside his familiar social bubble (such as the disgusting actions of Saro).

2. Good question! I was also thinking about whether a similar sort of process would occur if he hadn’t met the boys and I think the answer is yes. especially thinking about later in the novel when he walks in on his mother with the boat boy, I believe events like that would have a similar transformational experience

3. Your blogpost made me think that this novel has as one of its axes not only sexuality, but also the close relationship between money and sex in the society where the story takes place. “What is the cost of pleasure?” It may be one of the questions that remain after reading the novel. But I’m not just talking about money. Is it necessary to lose innocence to find methods of pleasure? It’s worth it?

4. Hi Indra, I agree with you when you made the point about the change in Agostino’s perception of his mother from a motherly figure to just a woman. It was quite saddening to see such a transition because the change was very abrupt for him. While the gang of boys has definitely influenced him in the sense that Agostino is now exposed to the new world of sexuality and maturity, Agostino is also trying to process all the things that the boys have told him in his mind, which adds to his confusion.
    – Janae

5. Hi Indra!
    I agree that once Agostino met the group of boys, that’s when his relationship with his mother started to change and he couldn’t see her in the same way. I like your question because I was also thinking about what would have happened if he hadn’t met the group of boys. I think there would have been some other type of experience that would have made him lose his innocence because I think that is a common experience, however I would think it wouldn’t be directly related to his mom, so maybe it wouldn’t have affected that relationship as much as him meeting the boys did.