Week 2

Posted by in Blog Post, Fraser Heights, Practicum

logo_classroom_management 

This week was my first week teaching Foods & Nutrition 11/12. I was pretty nervous going into a senior class right away. Ya know a classroom filled with stronger personalities, confident teenagers, and curious minds…but to my surprise they were very accepting of me as their teacher for the next 10 weeks. My one concern was evident, cell phones!

I think the biggest challenge I’m going to have with my classes is getting them to put their phones away and be in the moment focusing on the task at hand. But one thing that comes to mind and I have stressed, and will continue to stress is respect. Because I am accepting of them using tech devices (for instructional purposes ONLY) it’s going to be important that I stay firm to keep in line with our Community Agreement in the class which states: that cell phones are to only be used for instruction or as directed by the teacher.

I also had my 1st lab, this was interesting. This was a good realization that I need to really sit and think how I want my classes structured, as well as the fluidity in which I want my labs, lessons, demonstrations to flow. I don’t think I was able to really understand this until I was experiencing it first hand. I’m looking forward to trying some ideas I have spoken with my FA (faculty advisor) about and the other Home Ec teachers at Fraser Heights.