Philosophy

Abstract

The idea of becoming a teacher has long been on my mind, so when I graduated from the Kwantlen Fashion Design program four years ago I had to decide to work in the fashion industry or pursue a teaching career. I decided that with industry fashion experience, I would be a stronger teacher. I took the path of working in fashion and have done multiple photo shoots, collaboratively designed collections, made patterns, organized fashion shows and traveled to trade shows. But, of course, my heart kept bringing me back to thoughts of teaching.

What it means to be a great teacher

To define or state the ideal characteristics of a “great” teaching would be generalizing, in my opinion. Teaching is very individual. Depending on the personality, character, or subject area of that teacher, ones teaching style could differ drastically from one person to the next. I can only begin by explaining what it means to me to be a “great” teacher.

1. Being Prepared: Having a well organized and thought out lesson plan. Being on time or early for class. Reflecting on past lessons to aid in preparation for the next time I teach that lesson.
  2. Equality and Diversity: Teach topics in a way that are sensitive to equity and diversity. Treat all learners as individual. Challenge the over achievers and do not give up on the underachievers.
  3. Teach in a variety of methods and formats: Engage and encourage different learning styles as well as abilities. Bring variety into the classroom. Bring my hands on learning and creative teaching style into my lessons.
  4. Develop strong teacher-student relationships: Make myself available to students, but understand the balance and boundaries that come with those relationships. Creating an open door policy. Build a safe environment for learning and community development. Having compassion towards others and fostering empathy within my classrooms.
  5. Be the MASTER of my subject: Showing passion through the knowledge I have for my subject areas. Continue to learn and gain training within my teachables. Stay informed and up to date on current events and courses to further my knowledge as a teacher.

By adapting the elements listed above into my teaching, it is important that I am able to gain respect from my students. I hope to challenge them and be challenged. With the passion I carry towards my subjects I look forward to encouraging growth and community within my classrooms.

Experiences as a teacher

Some of my first experiences in a teaching role have been through coaching. After graduating high school I helped run high school field hockey practices as an assistant coach. In preparation for becoming a teacher candidate I mentored adolescent girls through the Go Girls Mentoring program focusing on physical activity, balanced eating and self-esteem. My passion growing up was figure skating. Seven years ago I began volunteering as a CanSkate coach, which is a learn-to-skate program for children ages 4 and up as well as adults. I continue to work towards my coaching certification to develop stronger skills and techniques as a coach. Throughout these activities I have had the opportunity to work with people with a wide variety of learning styles, and consciously worked to engage all able-bodied and handicapped (physical or intellectual) persons. My experience coaching has fostered my interest and drive towards becoming a teacher.

Teaching Goals

My goal as a teacher is to bring joy to learning through the passion I have for my subject area. By moving away from a traditional classroom structure, I want to encourage self reflection, project choice, and critical thinking by implementing a technically, creative learning environment. As a teacher I will aim to engage each and every student, whether they are high achievers or challenged. Being adaptable to different learning styles and personalities is a vital role I must play as an educator. Lastly, the importance of mastery of my own craft is never ending. My goal is to never stop engaging and learning as an educator. I need to always be able to bring more to the classroom and provide greater information to my students. If they see my investment in them, my hope is they will always reach further than they believe they can.

Effective Teaching Strategies

I continue to read that our education system must change so that our young people have a chance of learning and developing trades skills. For success in their futures, students require strong academic and technical skills – the ability to work with their head and their hands. I am a learner who excelled when engaged with my head and my hands. I believe my beliefs and skills could contribute to a school committed to academic learning and skills development.

Place-based teacher preparation (TP) programs prepare teachers to connect students to contextual realities of society. They implement an appreciation towards what is local, bringing a vibrancy towards the community culture (Weimer, 2014). Place-based TP uses the community as a resource in both teaching and learning practices. By utilizing the community it will allow me, as a teacher, to be visible to parents, students, and administration by promoting my program as well as the school I am apart of. Weimer (2014) describes this as a program that moves beyond mastering methods and transitions towards cultivating teaching practices that promote critical thinking. The relevance of place-based TP programs are that they have the potential of practicality, foster interest among students, and are applicable to the learning outcomes. I believe this type of program transfers well into home economics because of its connection to practical skills, and the emphasis on fostering community involvement into the learning spectrum.

Personal Approach to teaching

As an educator I would like to bring a fresh new outlook to the classroom. I want to be adaptable, dependable and enthusiastic. Being compassionate towards others while also having the capability to earn the respect of my students is a quality I feel is vital in my teaching approach. I believe in making all aspects of learning achievable to everyone. Everything is achievable; I hope I can support my students through the obstacles that come their way as their teacher.

As a Home Economics teacher I hope to share with my students the passion and creativity I have for textiles, fashion, food and the domestic knowledge of sewing and cooking. I hope to engage them with the knowledge I have for healthy cooking and healthy living. With my sports background I wouldn’t stop at being a Home Economics teacher, as I feel I could excel as a physical education teacher, which could lead to coaching school sports teams and participating in intramurals.

I believe that being an educator will fulfill my earning for more challenges. As mentioned earlier to be challenged by my students and to challenge them is an ultimate goal. It would bring energy and motivation to my career. Relating to textiles and foods, I believe being able to show students the industry outside of the classroom will be vital to their learning, as well as their own exploration and inquiry within the specific subject area. I want to educate my students on the opportunities they have in vocational training from secondary to post secondary, from home businesses to corporations.

As an educator I want to inspire and motivate my students to explore their passions and interest through the courses I teach. I believe there are more ways than one to get to an end result. By teaching the fundamental techniques and skills required within home economics my goal is to be able to bring new and innovative ideas to my students learning through my own personal inquiry. I want my students to think critically as they explore their learning potential, and I as a teacher hope to encourage communication of their thought process to further them in their academic development.

I would hope that my teaching would continually grow, so that my students and their learning evolve throughout their journey as well.

Weimer, M. (2014, May 1). Teaching effectiveness: The definitions of teachers and students. Faculty Focus Retrieved from http://www.facultyfocus.com/articlesteaching-and-learning/teaching-effectiveness-definitions-teachers-students/#sthash.B5ejtewY.dpuf

Ajayi, L. (2014). Investigating effective teaching methods for place-based teacher preparation in a rural community. Educational Research For Policy & Practice, 13(3), 251-268. doi:10.1007/s10671-041-9126-z

Thomas, J. & Smith, G. (2003) Toward an ideal of the person educated in home economics: An invitation to dialogue. Canadian Home Economics Journal. 44(1), 20-25.