Week 3

Posted by in Blog Post, Long Practicum, Practicum

IMG_0043This week I picked up Culinary Arts 11/12 (CA 11/12), which at first had me very nervous. With my back ground in cooking being strictly “home cooking” the work culinary had me slightly spooked. However I have quickly realized that I have nothing to be worried about and everything to be excited about. This group of students are very keen and excited to cook. While some of these have not been in a cooking class since grade 9, that hasn’t stopped then from being curious, enthusiastic, and compassionate towards their (green) teacher! Their competence and eagerness in the kitchen is on a different scale to my Foods & Nutrition 11/12 (FN 11/12) class. And notice quite a big difference in skill level between classes.

I see the students in CA wanting to push themselves. They are sharing their opinions with me, and have taken their learning into their own hands. While my other class needs a little more guidance and push. I see them getting there, and becoming more curious, more enthusiastic, and eager to learn.IMG_0042

I feel that for my CA class I am able to plan lessons with a little more openness. These students want to explore, and go off on their own, create and design dishes, while learning the skills I have to teach them. Where as I feel that my lessons for FN need to be slightly more detailed, have stronger theory, and a meaningful direction.

I’m looking forward to an exciting week 4 with both classes where we will be making soup to donate to a women’s shelter in CA and kicking of our knowledge of gluten-free meals in FN. Stay tuned for some glorious photos!