Abstract

The promotion of kinesthetic learning is vitally important in our classrooms and is one form of teaching that is widely over-looked. As a learner who excels when engaged with my head and my hands, I can’t be creating unless I am challenged. By moving away from a traditional classroom structure, a kinesthetic approach to teaching will encourage students to challenge their strengths and weaknesses, enabling optimal learning in all pedagogical areas. As the instructor, it is my goal to create activities where students can gain better knowledge of skills through hands-on learning. I hope to challenge their conceptual abilities through kinesthetically relevant activities suitable for a Foods and Nutrition class. The majority of classroom lessons today target visual and auditory learners that do not allow for kinesthetic learners’ growth in skills. Through kinesthetic methods and activities I will be able to reach more students, engaging them in an inquiry, PBL (problem based learning) approach. This project will explore how kinesthetic learning will increase students’ intrinsic motivation and work ethic cross-curricularally as well as in their daily lives. It is important to me to focus on non-traditional teaching approaches for the purpose of this observation. The goal is to encourage self-reflection, gain student autonomy through project choice, and increase critical thinking by implementing a technically, creative environment.