First Week Adventures 4 – Friday and SUS Carnival

Well this was stuff from 7 days ago.  I’m so good with time management…

Oh well~

One Friday ago! Last day of my first week of uni!

September 9, 2016 (Friday and SUS Carnival)

On the third day of classes, I felt like I was starting to get the hang of things- emphasis on starting. I already knew what madness I would be facing as I went on with my day, all from my experience from the first 2 days:

• Show up early to lectures unless I want to end up at the back of the class with the seat with the broken table
  • Finding a good spot to eat lunch and locating friends at the Nest is absolute hell
  • Try to ignore the paranoia I get from not being sure I clicked in with my iClicker despite seeing the green light (every time)
  • Wake up early becuase I think my contact lenses hate me and it can take from 20 seconds to 10 minutes for me to get them in for some reason (I’m new to this I’m trying)
  • I need afternoon snacks
  • Sometimes I can barely understand what my notes are saying an hour after I write them
  • Expect the Connect site to be as annoying and confusing as possible
  • Piazza is trying to drown my Gmail account
  • Pre-Reading quizzes are not to be taken lightly (or done only hours before it’s due)
  • Ew Pre-Readings
  • The day hasn’t even started and I’m already tired…

With that list in mind, I began the day equipped with less confusion and panic than I had for the previous 2 days. Improvement is happening I’m guessing that’s good. Unless I’m doing it completely wrong. I’ll find out soon enough(?)

Classes were as they were, nothing much happened, except that I learned that I’ll be having Math 102 homework nearly every day. Yay mathematics…

I went to class, had lunch, organised my notes, went to more class, and then I was free for the day. (*pre-readings cough*)

When we reached the plaza between the Nest and the Abdul Ladha center, we saw this set up right in the middle of it all.

20160909_145741SUS has set up some sort of “carnival” which basically meant a bunch of games, like that big red bouncy castle looking thing, and a booth for free treats and popcorn. Turns out the big bouncy castle looking things was a human activated obstacle wall, which means the objective is for you to scale the wall to the other side while probably 5 people stand on the other side of the wall and punch you with air filled columns as you go. My descriptions are great.

20160909_153022

20160909_145736There were also a lot of mini games for us to play, (ring toss, a jumbo version of operation, ball tic tac toe, the simple stuff), and they gave out tickets for us to exchange for SUS merch or use as raffle tickets for the SUS raffle if we won (or didn’t, then there was always a consolation ticket). I tried out some of the games, met some new classmates, and traded my tickets for cool (in my opinion) stuff.

2016-09-11-17-52-16And thus my collection of SUS merch was complete 😀 I have the Distillation agenda every science student gets from Imagine Day, a lanyard and Labrat sticker also from Imagine Day, and then another sticker and a pennant that I got from trading in my tickets.

Honestly, I didn’t know that pennants were called pennants…(my apologies) I just thought of them as the pointy felt flag things. Oh well. I learned a new word that day!!

With that, my first week as a first year uni student came to a close. Despite all the panic and anxiety, quite a lot of it,  overall I think I quite enjoy being in uni. Sure it’ll take me a while to get the hang of my new schedule and fix my life routine, (Connect is seriously stressing me out) but I’m definitely learning and adapting as I go. I kind of have to, or I’ll be screwed by the time my first midterms start to roll in, which honestly, isn’t that far away from now.

Ohhhh no.

Hopefully I get it together by then 😀

First Week Adventures – end.