Marketing Blog Post 3: Augmented Reality- The next big thing in marketing?

I ran across this article on Business Insider Marketing, and was pleasantly enlightened on the subject of Augmented Reality (AR) Marketing. Augmented Reality uses computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphic, or GPS data to “augment” the elements of the real-world, allowing the customers to interact with the advertised brand through a modified view of reality. Upon the first glance of the different companies’ augmented reality campaigns (check out a few below), I, for a couple of minutes, genuinely believed that the clips are extracts of sci-fi Hollywood movies! As surreal as the technology is, AR is indeed very “real” to the viewers who are invited to try out a new product or service in ways that would have been impossible prior to the age of smart gadgets.

In my psychology class, we learned that if someone touches the piece of clothing he or she is contemplating buying, he or she will be more likely to buy it in the end, as the experience of actually touching and feeling it has a reinforcing effect on the pre-existing inclination to purchase. I believe that augmented reality marketing is no different: getting the customers to see things and feel things that such traditional modes of advertisement as TV, radio or print ads fail to deliver will definitely increase the customers’ desire for the product or service, if not create the desire in the first place.
I am not dismissing the value of traditional advertisements, nor am I saying that there’s no overlap between the two methods of marketing. Proof: Fanta has come up with an augmented reality campaign featuring an edible newspaper ad carrying the flavor of its drinks (see the copy below). When it comes to marketing, there is indeed no limit to creativity!

Fanta’s edible newspaper ad

1 Response to Marketing Blog Post 3: Augmented Reality- The next big thing in marketing?

1. Pingback: Why Augmented Reality? : Daniel Barends Blog