Unit 1- Reflection

As I was writing assignment 1:3, I tried to focus on writing both clearly and concisely for those readers who may be unfamiliar with or don’t fully understand the term: sophistication. In order to do so, I focused on the etymology of the word, so that readers could understand where the word originated from.  The three progressions of definition type (ranging from least to most in-depth), I believe helped me to both communicate and understand the term I chose more clearly. Reflecting on that assignment, I actually would have preferred if the outline of definitions went from, more to less in-depth: Expanded, Sentence, then, Parenthetical. I believe that this would have helped narrow down my definition, in terms of what the most important over-arching idea was.

I enjoyed the peer editing process because you got to see how others interpret the assignment, and through the various definitions my group chose, the different subjects others are studying. I found the peer review a mutually beneficial process, as while I not only benefitted from my partner’s peer review but also by reflecting on what they may have done differently in their assignment. For example, when I was peer-reviewing Taylor Smith’s assignment, I was able to see how elaborating on the context behind the visual I chose, could help to further expand on my definition, which was something he suggested in his peer review.

The peer review process made my editing process for the final draft of my definition easy, as my peer reviewer structured his suggestions clearly. I appreciated his comment on what I could improving on, and what parts of my writing he considered strong. In writing, I think it’s always helpful to have a second opinion because unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) writing is something that one can always improve on. Below, I have attached the peer-review Taylor Smith has written regarding my first-draft of assignment 1:3 and my final edited copy.

Lia Slager

Have a Day 🙂

Assignment 1.3 – Final

Peer Review By Taylor Smith

Standard

Three Definitions

Hello fellow pupils,

I have decided to write on the term sophisticationBelow, you will find three definitions: parenthetical, sentence and expanded on this term. Upon researching the term you will find that there are various uses and definitions for the term. Since I had chosen this word, upon watching a documentary on the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, my definitions focus on the social quality of sophistication.

Parenthetical Definition: 

To become the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, was expected to possess inordinate sophistication (a measure of refinement).

Sentence Definition:

Term:

Sophistication

Class:

Quality

Distinguishing Features:

Characteristics by which an individual is considered to possess ‘worldly wisdom’

Expanded Definition:

Emetology: The term sophistication originates from the Greek term ‘sophistikos’ (of/or pertaining to a sophist), from ‘sophistes’ (master or teacher), and all rooting from the Greek term ‘sophos’ (wise). Greek ‘sophistes’ came to describe individuals who were paid for their intellectual instruction, and at Athens, these individuals were contrasted with “philosophers” and “poets”.

Sophistication, therefore, is attributed to a measure of qualities of possessing ‘worldly wisdom’ stemming from education and/or from worldly experience. Those who possess qualities of sophistication –‘sophisticates’ — are those who possess refined tastes and knowledge of social importance.

Visual:

Figure 1: “Test your sophistication!”

Image from https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/class-sophistication-test-glass-drink-beverage-ibn0004_low.jpg

References:

“Definition of ‘Sophisticate’.” Take Heed/Pay Heed Definition and Meaning | Collins English Dictionary, www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sophisticate.

“Etymology of Sophistication, Sophisticated.” English Words of (Unexpected) Greek Origin., 24 June 2012, ewonago.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/etymology-of-sophistication-sophisticated/.

“Sophistication (n.).” Index, www.etymonline.com/word/sophistication.

Standard

Email Messages to Team Partners

To: Taylor Smith

From: Lia Slager

Date: January 22, 2019

RE: English 301 Professional Writing Team

Dear Taylor,

Thank you for your expressed interest to collaborate with me. After reviewing your application, I would like to accept your extended invitation. I agree that we possess complementary skills needed to succeed in this course.

As a student “nearing the finish line” of their degree, with a Major in History and minor in English, I believe that your technical writing skills would be quite strong. Something I may have excluded from my application is that  I too have experience in the restaurant industry, and therefore appreciate the skills learned in such an industry. I agree that it takes a strong work ethic with sharp attention to detail to be able to work within the restaurant industry. In my experience, managers require determination, grit, and strong leadership skills. Although, I was most impressed with your ability to “tackle” both a full-time job and pursuing further education. Not only do I believe that this reinforces the skills listed above but shows time-management skills as well. In addition to having a complimentary skillset, I believe that our learning philosophies are similar as we both believe that keeping an open-mind can result in the creation of new skill sets.

I look forward to working together in the future. If you have any further questions, I can be contacted at liyahslager@gmail.com. For your reference, I have attached my Application Letter below.

Sincerely,

Lia Slager

Have a day! 🙂

301-Lia-Slager-Application-Letter-1

To: Alisa Dmitrieva

From: Lia Slager

Date: January 22, 2019

Subject: English 301 Professional Writing Team

Dear Alisa,

I am pleased to extend you an offer to join the writing team Last but Not Least, as I feel your academic experience and enthusiasm will be an asset to our team. Unfortunately, as the name suggests, the team is composed of a few members who may have been “late to the party”, and therefore have some catching up to do. However, I am sure that if you accept this offer, in due time, you will find that we as a group are certainly not the “least” of team players. I am more than confident, that together, we will be up to date on all our assignments within a weeks time. This opportunity promises a strong team dynamic, growth in your technical writing skills, as well as the option to work remotely every day (hello flexibility!). You may find it interesting that our writing team, is currently working on assignments such as writing and peer reviewing technical definitions.

I look forward to your response. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or inquiries, you can reach me at liyahslager@gmail.com. For your review, I have attached my Letter of Application to this email.

Sincerely,

Lia Slager

Have a day! 🙂

301-Lia-Slager-Application-Letter-1

Standard

301 Lia Slager Application Letter

North Vancouver, BC, Canada

January 20th, 2019

Dear classmates of ENGL 301,

I hope everyone is having a good semester so far. I am writing as a prospective candidate to be a part of your writing team.

My name is Lia Slager and I am looking to join a group of driven individuals to collaborate with over the course of this semester. I am currently a UBC student in my 3rd year of a BA in Human Geography with a minor in Urban Studies. I am hoping to graduate next year by the Spring of 2020.  Following my degree, I am hoping to apply to graduate school for either a Masters of Architecture or Restorative Architecture.

Working as a legal assistant when I was in my teens, I was expected to send memos and emails that didn’t show my age. As I’ve grown up and continued to work in semi-professional to professional environments, I have learned that technique in writing serves as an important base for everyday communications and impressions. 

Contrary to popular belief, I believe my biggest asset to this course is my creativity! I don’t see technique as a barrier to my ability to innovate, but rather as the building blocks needed for effective expression. Whether we work in a professional or informal setting, people tend to appreciate personality and wit if it’s within the constraints of proper technique.  In addition, I feel that I can be an asset to your team because I value positive and constructive collaboration.

I would say that my greatest weakness- in terms of writing- is the fact that I speak French as a second language. “E’s” tend to find themselves at the end of various words which may be similar in both in English and French. To make sure that I am not speaking “Franglais” I generally spend a substantial amount of time editing, as well as use the ‘Grammarly’ app to check my spelling. I would say that my learning philosophy is to remain curious. I can’t find where I acquired this quote but it has stuck with me over the years: “without curiosity, we remain qualified only for the kind of job we are doing”.

If you believe that my skills, experiences, and interests will be a strong fit for your writing team, please feel free to email me at liyahslager@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Lia Slager

Have a day! 🙂

301-Lia-Slager-Application-Letter-1

Standard

Email Memo to Professor

MEMORANDUM
To: Dr. Erika Paterson
From: Lia Slager
Date: January 20, 2019
Subject: ENGL 301 Lia Slager Application Letter

As per your request, I have posted my Letter of Application regarding a position on an ENGL 301 writing team to my Technical Writing blog. For your convenience, I have attached the Letter of Application to this memorandum.

As per the assignment criteria, the attached letter builds on the following:

• An overview of my post-secondary education, professional experiences, and interests
  • The strengths that I believe will be an asset to my writing team, as well as the weaknesses I am currently working to improve on
  • My learning philosophy

Please let me know if you have any questions or require any additional information. I will be glad to discuss and implement any feedback you may have.

301-Lia-Slager-Application-Letter-1

Standard