Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Graphic Novel Project – Nic, Jessica, Erin

July 9th, 2014 · 1 Comment

For our first media project we created a graphic novel adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Masque of the Red Death.”

Media Project 1 Writeup

The Masque of the Red Death – Graphic Novel

Tags: graphic novels · Uncategorized

1 response so far ↓

• TMD // Jul 16th 2014 at 9:50 am

Dear Nic, Jessica and Erin,

Wow — this is impressive work. The drawings (all three sections) are compelling, and the divergent styles only add to the strength of the work. In class I mentioned that your graphic novel reminds me of David Linklater’s Waking Life. In directing and producing this film, Linklater used a technique called “rotoscoping,” which entails shooting footage and then drawing over the frames after the fact. He hired about 30 artists and allowed each to follow a character, giving that character their own look and feel. The diversity of style stands in contrast to the approach of animation studios like Disney or Pixar, which look for uniformity of style among artists working on a particular feature length film. That could be an example to bring up were you to assign this sort of project in a classroom setting.

Erin, you intimated that you are not an artist, and yet your work, like that of your colleagues, is brilliant.

I agree that one may not wish to assess creativity per se; that said, there are some useful rubrics for assessing comics that draw attention to aspects of visual rhetoric. Google “comic book assessment rubric” and see what you think of various examples (some better than others).

Again, thanks for this outstanding contribution. As ever, I’m impressed by your creativity and thoughtfulness in approaching your work.

Best regards,

Teresa