Reflection blog for Unit 3

For this reflection blog, I will be discussing about the formal report writing process. First of all, writing the report was definitely a challenging task because I have not written many of such reports before. Also, having to constantly research and write along with a full-time job was not easy as well. The biggest challenge in composing the report was in the beginning of the entire process, which was in composing a questionnaire for others to answer. Because my topic was such a broad topic, it was hard to come up with the right questions to funnel the focus. Once I finished making the questionnaire, getting back the responses from people was another challenge as a lot of the people that I have contacted were not responsive due to the nature of their job, having to be on 12-hour rotational shifts. Out of the 6 people that I have interviewed, I was able to get 2 responses and these individuals are police officers and ones working in healthcare and law enforcement fields. It was frustrating to find out that I did not have enough responses, however, the ones who replied to me supplied with very informative answers, therefore, it was sufficient for me to use as primary data for the report. As a secondary data, I used information on the web and searching through the internet was one of the most fun parts of the assignment since I could learn a lot of the things that I did not know about regarding my own topic.

As for the task of reviewing my peer’s work, I found it very enjoyable because it was an interesting read and provided me with learning opportunity about issues of other parts of the planet. Whenever I encounter new interesting information, I experience the ‘enlightenment’ to my own unknown realm. By reviewing my peer’s work, I was able to also discover other people’s writing style and technique which I thought was suitable for me to try implementing for my future writing assignments. Whenever there were errors, I could point out the error and offered an opportunity for a fix for my peer. Just like how I had done, my peer would definitely be doing the same which would provide me with new thoughts and eventually make me a better writer. Utilizing the information that I received from my peer, I am going to be ready for sure to write the final draft of the report.

Both the task of composing and the peer reviewing inspired me to learn new things and I, for sure, did learn a lot about things that I did not know about.

FormalReport_LJANG